Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
container size for waltham butternut squash

Posted by engineeredgarden 7, nw Alabama (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 16:57

I was wondering if anyone has ever grown butternut squash in a container successfully, and what size would you recommend for a winter squash? I have fairly large seedlings in a ceramic pot that is a minimum 5 gallons, and have some reservations about it being successful. If needed, I have a large bucket that is at least 15 gallons- may even be 20, but it doesn't have any drain holes in it. It's an old red bottom to the first shop vacs that came out in the late 80's, I think. Do you think this might work? I can supply comparison pictures of this one next to a regular 5 gallon bucket- if needed. Any input is appreciated.

EG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: container size for waltham butternut squash

I am not much of a squash person so I never tried it, but comparing squash to plants I have grown of similar size and requirements I would say the 5 gallon bucket is fine, but larger gives you, the grower, more leeway in terms of watering. I don't think you will have a significant root restriction issue.

The Sq Ft Gardening method wants 3 plants per 4 sq feet so 1 and 1/3 square feet of volume 6" deep. That would be approximately 5 gallons. (7.5 gallons per cubic foot).

o
RE: container size for waltham butternut squash

Thanks for posting to this thread, JAG. That makes me feel a little better. Yesterday, I went ahead and moved the plant into the larger "bucket". Best I can figure - it's either 12 or 16 gallons. Although it doesn't have drain holes in the bottom, I feel pretty confident that it'll do ok - as long as I can control the watering of it, and shield it from mother nature, when it rains. I had some mel's mix left over from the sfg, and that's what I filled it with. Thanks again, JAG

EG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here