Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_355114

Perspective: 'You gotta change, man, ....

.... or you die!"

I wrote this, probably in a fit of boredom, just before Christmas in '07.

"I'll preface my thoughts by saying that the subject line is is a 'by chance', though fortuitous quote from a dear friend I had dinner with last night, and my tone is friendly & and conversational/nonconfrontational. It's not an admonishment or a prick at anyone. Rather, it's a musing of mine, spawned after my friend's singular, passing comment that just stuck in my mind.

Our bonsai group had its Christmas party last night, and one of the couples at the table were old nursery owners. By old, I mean that Dick and his bride are nearly 90 years old and have been in the nursery/landscaping business for nearly 70 years. He and his sons own (easily) the largest operation inside a 50 mile radius of my home.

As we laughed and visited, we traded stories, and Dick had a lot of them. At some point he stopped and said, "You know, Al - we don't do anything like we did 30 years ago. Everything is different." Of course, we all know that everything can't possibly be different, but we should all be able to see that what he meant is that he's been around long enough to have seen lots of substantial change. He mentioned that horticultural practices and beliefs have changed radically since he began his commercial endeavor. He talked of price increases and new machinery, of course. He mentioned that the most far-reaching effects on how business was conducted and in the timing of operations came about when the advent of the use of plastic overtook the industry; but most often, he returned to the idea that growing practices have evolved continually, ever since he first began getting his hands dirty as a youth.

Also in the group was another very old (95 years) friend. Fred, an intimate friend of mine and a reliable sounding board, has been a plantsman all his life. He started working in his fathers greenhouse when still a school boy, and his plants are still something he treasures almost as much as life itself. You should not doubt these words. I have seen the bodily sacrifices Fred has made to be with his plants, and the story would make almost any plant lover with a heart, cry. Fred also talked about the changes he's seen.

Dick is still active in his business, and more the business man, Fred is a plant purist and simply loves his plants, but Fred quickly agreed when Dick said, "You gotta change, man, or you die."

Dick was talking about his business, about assimilating the knowledge of new techniques, technologies, and procedures, about using what improves chances of survival - about adapting to stay competitive, and about reducing the amount of effort it takes for rearage of plant material.

Progress could easily have passed Dick by - Fred, too. Yet they survived and flourished because they were open to the prospects of learning. We can do that as well, as simple hobbyists. We can learn and explore - experiment - and entertain new ideas and suggestions, and we can have FUN doing it.

These men, lifelong friends, each had open minds that facilitated both their progress and success. These traits have endeared them to others, and have provided the foundation for a never ending wonder at the volume of what there is to be learned; and even though their experience is so far superior to any of ours, they are still hungry for knowledge and still learning.

Who are they learning from? Are they learning from people with more experience? No, of course not. That would be very close to impossible, given their lifetimes of husbandry. They are learning from people who are closer to what is developing in horticulture today - people who think outside the parameters of the limits we are so often ready to accept, or even place on ourselves by an unwillingness to embrace anything new or different. They are learning from people who are armed with knowledge and technology that often could never be revealed to the rigid, after even another entire lifetime of experience.

So what about experience? What is it worth? Certainly, it's worth something, but how do we quantify it? If you think about the paragraph above, you'll see that even men with years and years of experience seek those with knowledge to guide them. The nurseryman is no different from the greenhouse operator is no different from the doctor is no different from the fighter pilot in their need for knowledge beyond what experience offers.

One thing I realized about 15 years ago, is that when it comes to growing things knowledge trumps experience. I tried my hand at growing bonsai and failed miserably. I didn't have either the knowledge or the experience to keep plants alive in the diminutive containers they are grown in. After a few months and repeated failure, I quit trying and hit the books. I studied hard for 4 or 5 years, and when I tried again, I was amazed at the difference in my abilities and success. I had no more experience than when I quit, but I had knowledge.

You cannot grow in your horticultural endeavors unless you are learning. If you are not learning, your experience consists of doing the same things over and over again - right or wrong. Stagnation - learning nothing new, absolutely binds you, like a prisoner, to your current level of knowledge and abilities, makes progress impossible.

Do we learn from experience? Yes we do, but nowhere near as quickly as we do if we seek out knowledge that can be tempered in the fires of experience. Consider too, that the more extensive our knowledge, the greater our ability to make accurate observations and decisions. This is as true in life as it is in our growing endeavors.

Embrace knowledge & seek it wherever you can find it - here on these forums if you like, books, classes, seminars, symposia, etc. Let go of the thought that nothing can be better than 'the way I'm doing it now'. If you don't, if you aren't willing to change and adopt new thinking as you go through life, it's 100% assured that progress and technology will leave you standing in its slipstream.

These thoughts are not aimed at anyone and they apply to me as much as anyone who took the time to read this far. There is room for discussion, certainly, but if there is disagreement with anything, please be respectful of the effort it took to write, and address the comments to the subject matter while remaining on track.

Respectfully offered,"

(This was written during a period of controversy on the houseplant forum, thus, the last paragraph. It probably isn't necessary, but since it was part of the original text, I included it anyway.)

Al

Comments (20)

• sprtsguy76
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A1, thats was an excellent piece. And I can not agree with you more about everything you wrote. These men you spoke of are wise and very experienced, but even these men are still willing to accepts "gifts" if you will, from those with knowledge. The real moving piece for me is that this knowledge and this kind of wisdom can be applied in every part of our lives not just the gardening part. Good stuff man!

Damon

• locteach
    14 years ago

Powerful life words indeed!

Would you say that you appreciate the value of knowledge more because you experienced failure?

LC

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Damon. I really feel blessed to count Fred & Dick among my real friends. They are both truly gentle men, and a joy to be around.

And yes - I wasn't intending to deliver a life lesson in what I said, but now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that if you sifted through it, there's at least some support for one or two to be had in it .... and not garden-related, at that.

LC - I'm not exactly sure that's quite how I would come down on the knowledge thing. I thought about it for a while, and I think that if you're referring to knowledge and the bonsai failure thing specifically, that more accurately I appreciate the horticultural and any scientific knowledge I might have for it's value in preventing me from having to reexperience failure on a massive scale. ;o)I still have failures, in large part because experience is still teaching me the limits of how far to safely push a plant. I have very little problem keeping plants I'm not manipulating heavily alive and in good health. It's the ones I'm doing extensive work on that sometimes need more than just a modicum of heroic effort to keep them pumping out O2. ;o)

If you're talking about knowledge and life in general .... I think I look at knowledge as I would look at either a set of tools or as a concealed weapon of self defense. The tool analogy is pretty easy. Certain jobs require certain tools if you're to complete them quickly and efficiently. They also require certain bits of knowledge that are relevant to the task at hand. The more tools you have, the more likely it is you'll have the right one, and that just makes life a lot easier.

The concealed weapon of self defense analogy links to it's potential ability to keep you from a broad scope of harm. Where life leads us is all about our choices. Having the knowledge we need to make the right choices is potentially a weapon of self defense. The REAL weapon is revealed when we make the right choices based on our knowledge and our future well being, and I think we call that wisdom.

Al

• bcskye
    14 years ago

Al, that was a wonderful piece and it does relate to most everything in life. My DH and I are both seniors and we are constantly questioning and studying. I have many times told others that the older I get, the more I realize I have yet to learn. Thank you.

• locteach
    14 years ago

Al - My question was definitely in the life knowledge context. I am in education and often speak with students who don't appreciate the pursuit of knowledge. Years later they have an entirely different perspective many times because of failure, many times because they want better for their families, and sometimes because the student matures and realizes the value of knowledge. So perhaps in the future pursuit of knowledge the aforementioned student have gained wisdom. Wisdom that fosters the quest for more knowledge.

With regard and respect as I continue to gain gardening and life knowledge from the forum and those around me,

LC

• ronalawn82
    14 years ago

tapla, two quotes.
    "Change is inevitable - Growth is optional." (Walt Disney)
    "Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine." (Robert C Gallagher).
    I may have done better on the 2007 thread. This demonstrates what age does to one.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Skye. "I have many times told others that the older I get, the more I realize I have yet to learn."

Mmhmm so true, which makes me think back to the age when I was smartest - 18. ;o)

I always encouraged my children, and now my grandchildren to read a wide variety of subject matter. I think I was lucky in that I realized my mind needed feeding when I was in my early 20s. I've always been a voracious reader, though my time here has curtailed that somewhat, but I'm learning here as I go too, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on learning opportunities. ;o) Besides, I enjoy the company here almost as much as the other gardeners and other people I meet in my various other activities & commitments.

.... and what I was just saying kind of plays right into what LC mentioned. I place a tremendous value on knowledge. It enriches our lives in countless ways, helps to protect us, our families ..... from all sorts of things that might impact negatively, and makes our journey through life so much simpler. I only wish that this thought could be imprinted, wholesale, on the minds of all our progeny. ;o)

While I was reading through your comments again, LC, I realized that a lot of what we do in gardening comes about by intuition. I mused a bit at where that comes from, and I am supposing after only a little cursory consideration, that it's probably not all instinctive like the definition would have us believe; I rather think of it as a melding of the things we know and the things we've done, knowledge and experience, that come together to allow us to see a preview of what's to be if we stay our current course.

Ron - more good stuff - pearls. ;o)

"The hardest part of gaining any new idea is sweeping out the false idea occupying that niche." Robert Heinlein

"Most of us are about as eager to be changed as we were to be born, and go through our changes in a similar state of shock." James Baldwin, 1924-1987, American author

Al

• earthworm
    14 years ago

A good read;its so true that the more one ages, the less he knows, even with all his amassed knowledge. Does this make sense ?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Thanks for sharing this, Al.
    I really enjoy these literary excursions; certainly for edification, but also for pure delight ---
    reading being its own reward. As a high school English teacher, I couldn't agree more! ;)

As I read, I thought of this old quote: "It is not the strongest of the species that survive,
    nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change" ~ Darwin

Thanks again,

Josh

Original Author
    14 years ago

EW - I think that as we age, the more we are aware of how much knowledge there is out there that doesn't belong to us and is just waiting to be claimed; or, the old clich- the more we know, the more we realize what we don't know. ;o)

Thanks, Josh, It's fun to take a little side trip now & then & get to know a little about how your/our gardening buddies think or feel, don't you think? ;o) E.g., it's interesting to learn you're an English teacher. I'm thinking GREAT, now I have to worry even more about my grammar, spelling ..... and learn to be better at terminating all my run-on sentences ..... oh yeah - there's that punctuating, too! ;o) My best friend is Asian, and keeps pointing out that half the source of what little misery finds its way into my life can be attributed to my "white man's stick". I have to agree there's more than a little truth in it. ;o)

Al

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

I feel the same way, Al. This type of thing is a great community builder, if you'll allow the term........and, please, you needn't worry about grammar or spelling (as you've already demonstrated yourself to be quite adept!); moreover, you communicate information effectively, and that is the key to both writing and teaching: imparting not just knowledge but experience!

(And now that you know I'm an English teacher, perhaps you'll be able to forgive my occasional slips into hubris and pedantry);)

Josh

• sprtsguy76
    14 years ago

"This is as true in life as it is in our growing endeavors."

Pretty black and white to me.

Damon

Original Author
    14 years ago

How so? I don't understand what contrast you're making?

Al

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

While I have not broken 90 I am getting close and agree with all you have said. I had the opportunity to work for no pay with the best nurseryman I knew. For five years in my retirement I was able to spend time with a grower who was a life long member of the International Society of Plant Propagators. I think I still remember everything he told me. When my children were in high school, at an open house, the agriculture teacher, then nearing retirement, was proud to tell me " I perfected my lesson plans in my first year of teaching and have not changed a thing". I was glad my children were not in his class. No learning opportunity should be missed. Al

Original Author
    14 years ago

I would have guessed you for a much younger man, Al - probably someone in his 50s or early 60s. (that's a compliment) ;o)

I had already written a comment that basically said learning by rote is bad enough, but teaching by rote is ...... and that's where I stopped. I was trying to think of some word/phrase that associated teaching by rote with a bad thing, but then I realized that many facts really do have to be taught/learned by rote.

Using Josh (English teacher) as an example: the rules of grammar don't change, nor does spelling; if he's teaching literature, the offerings of Shakespeare and Hemingway don't change, but if he becomes so mechanical in his method of presenting his knowledge, his students will 'feel' it, making it extra difficult to get them to absorb it.

Hopefully, the teacher you referred to that perfected his lesson plan in his first year, was referring to things like the sequence of the subject matter and the length of time being spent in different areas, not the very set of facts, ideas, procedures ..... associated with Ag Science, but even being THAT rigid can't be good. We know that in those and other areas, technology and perspective change markedly on even a year to year basis, not to mention things newly revealed and new solutions to old problems. What a disservice to his students THAT would be .... or was.

Take care, Al.

the other Al

• shanielynn
    14 years ago

Wisdom definitely comes from learning the fact that the more you learn, the less you know. It is truly a great feeling to know you will never know everything (except when we were teenagers going on 40). It keeps your mind busy and open. Thanks for sharing your vast wisdom with all of us!
    Shannon
    PS, now I'm scared of grammar erros too! =D

• sprtsguy76
    14 years ago

"And yes - I wasn't intending to deliver a life lesson in what I said"

Well, if the story you shared with us and your experience with these older gents isn't a life lesson then I dont know what is. Anywho, good stuff!

Damon

14 years ago

The knowledge that when you die all you have learned will die with you should not work as a deterrent to continued education. Next month I am attending two all day sessions at UC Davis, one on pest control the other on experimental orchards. I am sure every part of the country has similar programs, costing less than $50 a day. It is sad that many of these learning opportunities are so poorly attended that they often have to be cancelled. We should do better. Al

Original Author
    14 years ago

But Al, knowledge isn't like a football ..... when you hand it off, you still get to retain it. So does it really die with us if we're sharing? ;o)

NOT GUILTY! (your comments above) ;o) I attend at least a half dozen learning events each year that are a day (or more) in duration. This year so far:
    Winter tree ID
    Insect ID by damage evidence
    Emerald Ash Borer Progress
    Advanced Pruning
    Grafting
    Propagation
    plus all the Master Gardener related symposia & speakers the several clubs I belong to bring in.

I've also found that when called on to put a presentation together, I end up learning a lot. For that reason, and as an active member in the clubs I belong to, I often encourage the 'powers' to suggest that members weak in certain areas put together reports to share with the rest of the group on things like insect control, pruning, fertilizing, or maybe an experiment using different media ...... The research required to do the presentation that they likely wouldn't have done otherwise, is very valuable.

In the end, I suppose our level of knowledge in large part comes down to decisions. The order of importance re. how we spend our time is so varied and different that no two people have the same set of priorities. Intelligence isn't what we know, it's what we CAN know, and I know a fair number of rather intelligent vegetables ............... whose idea of learning something is watching "Manswers" on Spike TV. ;o)

Al

14 years ago

Al you share more knowledge than anyone I know. Thanks for telling us how you keep refilling your tank. Your an example for us all. Al