Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrea1102_gw

Growing authentic NM green chile in containers- help!

Andrea1102
9 years ago

Hi! First time post- I picked up Sandia Hot new Mexico gren chile seeds and started them in seed trays a while back, they've germinated great and eventually transplanted them to 3-4inch containers once they reached four-5 leaves. Out of the 50, a good 30 are growing good with approx 9 leaves looking nice. I need help from here- when do I transplant them and how? I have 5 gallon buckets and would like to grow them all seperatelt in then, but I've already transplanted two to the buckets and put them outside (the others still in the 4 inch containers inside on window sill light). The two I tested in the 5 gallon buckets are not growing at all- the ones inside are still growing but the stalk is thin.
I also tested four others in a garden bed outside, and those are growing with a very thick stalk and beautiful green.
Ones inside on sill in 4 inch containers are a very thin stalk, light green, but good leaves.
What's the difference, is it too hot? Are 5 gallon buckets too big for one plant? And when do I move the inside guys to outside containers? I'm in southern California and its pretty hot out- but I'm not sure what's wrong. Need help! It's VERY hard to find information on growing actual chilies that I purchased in Albuquerque, New Mexico and how to grow them in southeb California. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. I wanna get these beauties to flower! And why are the stalks from inside so thin?

Comment (1)