Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting on perennials

Posted by jazzyk UK (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 17:50

Hi I am new to this forum and based in Cambridge,UK. I am also very new to gardening.
I bought a number of young perennials - yellow storkbill, potentialla arc de ciel, night whisper daylily, tangerine dream coneflower and alstroemeria inca exotica in containers in March this year. I immediately loosened the rootball and potted them into a pot with compost 1-2inches larger than the original. The plants have all successfully grown and currently flowering. I realise that I can see some visible presence of roots through the bottom drainage holes - however the roots are not coming out of drainage holes yet. I have read so many suggestions but I am still unclear when to pot onto a larger container. Post-flowering in Autumn which will help protect roots over winter or next spring?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks JazzyK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting on perennials

With my perennials I am always making more of them either by division or cuttings. Most require cutting back to make a fuller plant, and all those cuttings are easily rooted for most perennials. I have built up good inventories of Altromerias and Daylilies through divisions. Al

o

Thanks for information regards cuttings/divisions. But to clarify perennials are very young plants so they currently are 4L containers. At this stage I don't think they are mature enough to take cuttings/divisions - I thought you divide them once 2-3 years old. So I was wanted to replant them into a large container but I am unsure whether I can do this now while they are in active growth and flowering or wait til either autun or next spring.

o

To determine if my perennials need potting up to a larger sized container, I knock them out of their pots and take a look at the roots. If they are starting to circle the inside of the pot, I will carefully pot to larger size. With most mixes the roots will hold the mix together and not be disturbed when potting up. Most plants will take this move anytime, without causing a stress. If you are using a gritty mix it will fall off the roots, and I would wait for the plants dormancy when root disturbance is better tolerated. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here