Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancinglemons

Carrot growers - need container growing assistance....

dancinglemons
12 years ago

Hello all,

I have posted this message on the Veg forum but after thinking about it I thought some of the container growers may have some ideas.

I have grown carrots before with moderate success. I grow exclusively in containers with a very few raised beds. I want to grow long (7-8 inches) carrots. I do not care if they are funny shape but I want the long carrots. I keep reading to add sand to the growing medium -- so I have some questions.

I use a mix of ProMixBX + Perlite + pine bark fines with my nutrients mixed in. I mostly grow my carrots in 24-30 inch tall 20 or 30 gallon containers. I've gotten carrots 3-4 inches long which were nice but the cultivar should grow to 7-8 inches. Would adding sand to my mix be acceptable?? Play box sand or builders sand?? How about just adding more perlite?? Do carrots prefer cool soil while growing -- will I need to shade the container sides in 90++ degree weather?

Now let us talk nutrients. Light on Nitrogen, moderate phosphorus and heavy potassium?? I often see a 1-2-2 ratio recommended. What do commercial carrot growers use?? What do carrot competition winners use??

Any and all help is appreciated. I am growing in containers and can mix my own "soil".

Thanks,

DL

Comments (3)