Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container tomatoes disease???

Posted by cottonpa SoCal (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 18:01

I have an early girl tomato plant in a 5 gallon bucket. It has been producing fruit for several weeks now and is still going strong. I noticed today that down by the base of the stem it seems like it has split open and little tiny white tubes are spewing out of it...it does NOT look good but it's still producing tomatoes? I noticed that a couple branches at the top have some white bumps on them but not nearly as bad as the white tubular insides spewing out of the stem at the bottom. Can anyone help me to identify what is going on and maybe suggest something I can do to help fix the problem? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Here are a few photos of what I'm talking about. The first pic is of the base of the stem which is the worst and the other is of a branch higher up with the bumps on it.
Thank you!

Base of the stem
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rUg6L-Jiz_WULk93owGSEb0XMN9w-rceFJzy3_KzwPs?feat=directlink

From Jul 12, 2011

White bumps on branch higher up on the plant
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SdPt7P_DBPbnSWZaVrKocb0XMN9w-rceFJzy3_KzwPs?feat=directlink

From Jul 12, 2011

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container tomatoes disease???

Not a disease. Tomato is trying to root above ground. Bumps are normal too. Somebody who knows more than me can explain when and why, altought I think it might be high humidity, which we have surely had recently! Linda

o

Yep. Adventitious roots. Very common in my humid southern Ohio climate. Nothing to worry about.

o

phew! thank you! so I should just leave it alone and let it do it's thing?

o

Don't worry, be happy! But, it is an awfully small pot, so be dedicated to keeping it well watered and fed.

o

awesome! thank you all so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here