Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kissingfrogs2003

Garlic help..

kissingfrogs2003
12 years ago

I am hoping to grow garlic in a container outside. I tried planting cloves from the store that sprouted and while I got leaves that eventually turned brown, when I plucked them...no bulbs! It looked more like onion/leeks than garlic.

Any suggestions on a garlic variety that will grown well (and quickly) in a container? I am only at my current location for a year and would love to harvest a few bulbs before then...

Comments (14)

• btbarbara
    12 years ago

Potatoes from the grocery store are usually treated with something to keep them from sprouting...not sure if there's the same issue with garlic.

When did you plant it? I've been reading that you should plant it in the fall to harvest next summer...it takes forever to grow!

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

what btbarbara said! i planted some in 2 pots and it all sprouted pretty quick, and left them alone for like 5-6 months and then i noticed they were infested with spider mites! so i yanked them and well same thing they looked like green onions!

• kissingfrogs2003
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I planted them in probably May or June....

but the leaves looked like the how things are supposed to look when you harvest them. So somewhere I have my info wrong...

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Did they ever flower?

Josh

• kissingfrogs2003
    Original Author
    12 years ago

no flowers...just long green leek like leaves. Here is a pic (red pot on the bottom left):
    {{gwi:40199}}

I'm not opposed to ordering bulbs/seeds and starting over but I'm hoping someone can help suggest a variety that is designed for this sort of container growing. I have had success with other container-style veggies and would imagine there is such thing...if I know where to look.

12 years ago

My buddy grew Red Garlic and Elephant Garlic in a container.
    Plant during the cold weather, then let it develop throughout the winter.

My Elephant Garlic is now ready to harvest.

Josh

• kissingfrogs2003
    Original Author
    12 years ago

is it true elephant garlic tastes more like onion/leek than garlic?

I keep reading about elephant garlic but I really hate onion flavor so i would prefer something more true to the garlic flavor...

12 years ago

It tastes like a mild garlic.

Josh

• kissingfrogs2003
    Original Author
    12 years ago

can i ask where you got your bulbs from?

• GeraldC
    12 years ago

On a foolish whim, I did what you did and plants a few in May. Same miserable outcome. Fall starts only.

12 years ago

I bought them locally at Eisley's Nursery.
    The bulbs are only available at certain times and they are expensive.
    Now, however, I have plenty of bulbs to use for propagation.
    Here's another tip: if you want the huge bulbs, you have to plant the largest cloves.
    Although it's nice to use the big cloves, I save a good amount for the next season.

Josh

• btbarbara
    12 years ago

I seem to remember hearing on a cooking show or something years ago that the bigger bulbs look great but generally have less flavor or something. I just remember teasing my (now ex) husband because he always wanted to buy the biggest bulbs he could find but the smaller ones were actually better. Does anyone know if that's true?

Also, can you grow garlic from bulbs from the grocery store or do you need to buy "starts"?

12 years ago

With the Elephant Garlic, the flavor is milder than garlic, so it's nice to have a big bulb.
    I haven't done much comparison between large and small cloves, though...

Not sure about grocery store garlic...

Josh

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

All the garlic sites say to plant the garlic in the fall and let it overwinter in the ground which it usually needs to do before it will develop a head.

Regardless of when you plant it, its leaves will usually die down in the heat of the summer, then return either in late fall or spring.

If you planted cloves in the spring, they probably have not had time to develop into heads of garlic with cloves of their own.

So you could simply leave them in the ground over the winter and hopefully have mature garlic heads next summer.