Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves falling of bean plants

Posted by bobb2001 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 18:50

I've heard growing beans is easy, but somehow I've managed to mess up. The leaves are falling off my yellow pole beans and green bush beans - all well-established plants that are now nearly bare of leaves. Any beans that were growing seem to have stunted. Some new leaves seem to be trying to grow, but I bet they just die too. I thought it was just the heat, but there are so many other symptoms it could be too...
- I've seen a few aphids on the leaves from time to time. I've tried home-made remedies before, like dish soap/garlic solutions, applying at night, but the leaves seem to get burnt by that.
- Maybe I'm over-watering? Can't imagine I'm underwatering.
- I had the built in saucers on the bottom of all of my plastic containers, but just heard that is bad and maybe that is also what is bothering my cucumber leaves.
- Maybe I just planted them too late in the season?

Same thing happened last summer to the beans, and they seemed to come back just before fall. Would love to hear from others experiencing something similar. Would also love to hear it's just the super hot heat we've been having in Massachusetts.

This is just my third year gardening, so any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!

-Bobb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves falling of bean plants

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 20:06

Are you fertilizing?

Al

o

Yup. I use some powder stuff in my watering can about once a week.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 14:42

Could you be a little more specific?

Al

o

my bush beans are almost 2" hight with purple flowers on them, they r getting ready to sprout there beans but the leaves are falling off n they are beginning to look like they're starting to die. Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 13:44

There are lots of possibilities, over-watering being right up at the top of the list. You'd need to provide a little more background info, though.

Soil type
Watering habits
Where you live
Fertilizer? with what? how much?
Recently moved outdoors after starting indoors?

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here