Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
State/Region: Al's Gritty Mix Part 2

Posted by succulent_succotash 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 19:18

This is a continuation of the original post (http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg041917144346.html) that has exceeded the reply limit.

Orange County, CA

TURFACE
Based on previous posts, I used the turface.com retail location finder and found a handful of landscaping stores within 15-30 minutes of my house. I called all of them for pricing & availability of Turface MVP.

I was able to get a 50lb. bag for $11 :) at Simplot in Fullerton, CA. Other places cost $15-$18. Interestingly, my local John Deere didn't carry it.

GRANITE
I used Google maps to find "feed stores" in my area. Not all of them had 100% granite (chicken) grit; some had oyster shells in them. None carried Gran-I-Grit, but had A-1 Grit No. 10. A 75lb bag cost $15. For proximity, I chose Kruse Feed & Supply in La Habra.

BARK
I went to Armstrong Garden Centers in La Habra where they have large bags of fine orchid bark (fir, not pine). A small 8 dry quart bag is $4, but the large 1.5 cub ft bag costs only $9.

They also had micro bark in a 2.0 cub ft bag, but I was unsure of the type of material and it stated its use as mulch.

Good luck my fellow OC gardeners

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: State/Region: Al's Gritty Mix Part 2

Great info.

Love the cost of the Fir bark!!!

Score!!!

;-)

Take care,

Laura.

o

Harrisburg PA. area

Grani-grit - Agway, Mechanicsburg, PA

TurfAce - Agway, Mechanicsburg, PA

Pine Bark - Highland Gardens, Camp Hill, PA
Kambark brand pine bark mulch/soil conditioner. The first time I bought it, I bought 2 years worth, I usually buy next years it and leave it sit in my garage for a year.

o

Western Ohio:
Granite grit & Turface MVP: Trupointe Cooperative

Uncomposted pine bark fines: Golden Trophy mini pine bark fines #312: Ohio Mulch

Nationwide:
Diatomaceous Earth/Floor Dry (substitute for Turface), part #8822: Napa Auto Supply

o

Virginia.. Southern Maryland

Turface.. John Deere Landscaping Stores Turface MVP or Allsport

Gran - I - Grit Crushed Granite.. ( Growers size) Southern States store.. Tractor Supply Stores.. Some sell Manna Pro and you want the "poulty" grit. Cherrystone ( Crushed Quartzite ) size No. 2

Pine Bark Fines.. Look for Soil conditioner aka Pine Bark fines.. Fir Bark can be found at some Bonsai Stores aka Orchid bark You can also find Fir Bark for the Gritty at Petsmart Stores in the reptile dept. Zoomed is the brand name.

Look for mom and pop feed and seed stores too!

Good luck.. if you live in the Tidewater area of Va. or Southern MD. You can always email me and I will try and help you !!

Have fun!!

Laura

o

Here are two possible substitutes for the crushed granite I’ve found near Northwestern Indiana (but they are probably fairly widespread):

Nature Wise Poultry Grit -- Rural King (Niles, MI); $6.49 for 7 lbs (~$1/lb)

Insoluble crushed granite. Particulates are white-ish and measure 1/16 -" 3/16 inches so a little smaller than ideal. Also, fairly dusty so they will definitely need to be sifted and/or rinsed. (This is just another brand for the same product as from Manna Pro, I believe.)

Akasha Natural Coarse Sand -- Lowe’s (South Bend, IN); $3.94 for 4 lbs (~$1/lb)

Particulates are more colorful (orange-pink to brown-black with some white) and measure about 1/8 -" ¼ inches so a little bigger than ideal. It looks pretty clean and consistent in size so I’d say it is probably good to go without sifting.

photo 2013-07-11006_zps5d20fc41.jpg

At $1/lb, they're both fairly pricey in the long run (think $50 to match the same amount of turface from John Deere at ~$20/50lb bag). I’m only planning a small batch for now to experiment with so I was ok paying a bit more. I’m definitely leaning toward the sand for the colors, cleanliness, size, and consistency.

I hope that since Lowe’s and Rural King are pretty widespread this may help people who are also in the market for making more small scale batches of the mix.

Cheers,

Nathan

o

Just wanted to follow up on my previous comment now that I have actually made the mix with these ingredients. (I had not done so yet as of that post.) The granite was very dusty as I had presumed but very few of the particulates actually passed through the insect screen (1/16'' guage) so I was able to use most of it. (This is just based on the top portion of the bag; it may be a different story as I get further down.) I used the sand as is and it looks great in the mix, in my opinion (sorry for not having a picture)--actually what I did was 1 pt turface, 1 pt bark, 1/2 pt granite, 1/2 part sand still giving the same 1:1:1 ratios.

That said, I realize that I forgot something with my math. For the turface, about 1/3 to 1/2 of what I used went through the insect screen. So if we say 1/2, then $20 buys you 25 usable pounds which is $0.80/lb. In light of that, the $1/lb for the granite or sand is not as bad as it originally sounded. Just wanted to clarify that and I apologize for the mistake.

Nathan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here