Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing Rose Bands

Posted by desertgarden561 9b. - Sunset Zone 11 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 19:42

Hello,

I received own root rose bands last week and after giving them two - three days to acclimate to my climate, I placed them in one-gallon pots with organic potting soil from a local nursery. My question is, when should these bands in one gallon pots be fertilized and what would produce the healthiest plants? I live in a hot climate and must water the bands daily. The bands have new growth; a little bit already but I believe already are showing signs of deficiencies. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, in mid October, some of these bands that I have placed in one gallon pots, and the one gallon bands I will be placing in 3 gallon pots this week, will go in the ground. The others will likely be placed in five gallon pots and planted in my garden sometime in March.

Any advice you can offer is appreciated.

Lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing Rose Bands

You mention 'rose bands' six times in your post. Am I the only one who does not know what a 'rose band' is? Al

o

A "band" is a container size :-) Typically about 4" square and 6-8" deep with a more or less open bottom.

Any sort of liquid fertilizer you prefer would work. I am partial to Liquid Grow (7-9-5) from Dyna-Gro. I use it at half strength weekly (maybe every 10 days) on my container plantings.

o

Gardengal48,

Thank you,

o

Do you have a cat?
I fertilize my rose pots with kitty litter pee clumps.
Works great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose pot fertilization

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here