Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
novice gardener seeking advice

Posted by bluedesertflower Az (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 19:59

Hi i live in phoenix and i have always loved plants so in the beginning of july i bought a rosemary ofici. Plant.i overwatered it at first.it actually had mushrooms breifly at one point,I learned from that mistake but shortly after this the leaves began to turn brown it is still in the nursery pot but i plan on moving it into a terracotta pot very soon.i read online it was from overwatering but not sure any advice kindly accepted.i have a proven winners torenia and a new goodwin creek french lavender aswell.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: novice gardener seeking advice

Rosemary and lavender like their soil dry, free draining and a bit rocky. They also like a full amount of sun. If keeping them in a container, research the Gritty mix on this forum and see if you can create a soil mix close to that.

Those two plants will do much better planted in the ground outside in Phoenix. Or, if you like to cook italian, get a good size pot, mix up some Gritty and plant a little herb garden of rosemary, thyme, lavender and sage. The plants will get big and unmanageable after a while in a communal pot like that, but you'll be able to harvest off them for a season or two.

o

Go to the store and get some of those little wooden skewers. Put one in the soil, wait 20 minutes. Pull it out. If it is moist, do not water, if it comes out dry, water. Repeat every day until you are comfortable in knowing the watering schedule of the plant.

Mark

o

Go to the store and get some of those little wooden skewers. Put one in the soil, wait 20 minutes. Pull it out. If it is moist, do not water, if it comes out dry, water. Repeat every day until you are comfortable in knowing the watering schedule of the plant.

Mark

o

Thanks for the advice im getting to know my plants more each day now i check the soil and only water when the first one or two inches of soil are dry.i would love to plant in the ground but while im in an apartment this is my best try at a mini garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here