Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serge94501

Wish me luck...and any advice?

serge94501
10 years ago

I took the 5-1-1 plunge today. It was easy as there was so much good info I got here from searching. I mixed up a batch, tossed in some lime and CRF and looked for my first victim.

I bought a rooted cutting of a Blanquette fig (not very popular in the US from what I can tell) last September and it's been doing OK in its small pot until very recently when some leaves started to yellow.

I am sure the best time to re-pot a fig is over the winter, but I watched a much larger Peter's Honey Fig languish in a pot and now it looks worse than Charlie Brown's Christmas tree, and I didn't want the Blanquette to suffer the same fate.

I took out the fig, washed down the rootball, gently loosened some roots that were starting to bind, and layered it into the pot with the 5-1-1 mix. After it was in nicely I gave it a good drenching. I know the tree is going to have some transplant shock.

So, I will water it every day with a weak fertilizer solution. Any idea what a good NPK ratio is for a fig in 5-1-1? Thanks and wish me luck. The Charlie Brown tree is next - I am sure it can be saved.

Comments (5)