Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22420692

LARGE Containers

User
10 years ago

Does anyone have Ideas for inexpensive large containers, maybe something that can be repurposed for plants. Whisky barrels used to be cheap, but no more, and I rarely see them for sale any more. I'm sure there are things that I don't think of, maybe 55 ga. drums cut in half, or whatever. I would prefer if they were not completely industrial ugly, but that is not a deal breaker.

I look forward to seeing what ideas y'all have! Thanks in advance, Dave.

Comments (12)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

I used the 55 gal drums cut in half thing. I don't think they are that ugly. A nice pretty blue :-) Anyway, for 10 bucks apiece on Craig's List, they're definitely easy on the eyes.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks edweather,I am always a little leery that the 55ga. drums were used for hazardous chemicals or something else that could harm me or my plants. And though the blue is not too bad, I'm not sure if I consider them "front yard" attractive.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

You could paint the drums to look like wiskey barrels, or anyway you like. I plan to do this with rubber made trash cans.Or maybe just leave them. I'm more concerned about the plants than looks, but yeah I want it to look nice too.
    Any suggestions on paint to use, and designs welcome!

• berry_bob
    10 years ago

I use cattle lick tubs , they come in different colors and you can always paint the outside

10 years ago

You are right, they are not front yard attractive. OH you want to put them in your front yard, that's taking it up a notch :-) I have mine in my side yard and they are plenty visible to everyone that drives by. I think they are quickly distracted away from the blue by the large mass of potato greens protruding out of the top and wishing they had one. Mine were used for car wash soap, a quick rinse and they were clean as a whistle.

• mea2214
    10 years ago

Not sure what you consider inexpensive but I'm retiring all my plastic containers and going all wood over the next 3-5 years. An 8' 1x6 treated wood plank runs around $5. To make an 18" high, 2' wide, 4' long = 12 cu. ft. container requires 9 4' sections (2 sides and bottom) 6 2' sections (2 short sides) or around 6 or 7 eight foot boards or around $35. Round up to $40 because you'll need a couple 2x2s for straps and some screws. Adjust the math for even bigger. A couple of my treated wood containers have lasted more than a decade and look like they'll go another 10 years -- even through our harsh winters. You'll need a power screw gun and a drill for pilot holes and some patience.

You can't grow veggies in treated wood however as far as I know. I plan to go with cedar for my new veggie containers which ups the price a bit -- perhaps double. I haven't priced cedar yet.

• thebutcher
    10 years ago

You may want to consider Hydrofarm Dirt Bags/Pots.

I am using them now and bout 9 and love them with great growth. They are really nice looking too, I am saying that from my sister in law who has 2 of them and a big critic of pots.

As far as pricing:

20 Gallon is about $10,
    65 Gallon $25,
    200 Gallon about $37,
    400 Gallon $55.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone, great ideas all. I really meant things that were never intended for plants, but might get discarded after use for their intended purpose. 55ga. drums are an example, or cattle lick tubs(had to google that!). Dirt bags sound interesting, I will investigate them. Any more ideas will be appreciated.

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

I have several, large plastic storage containers from Walmart, see link.

I'm pondering using a few of those for regular potatoes or sweet potatoes.....

Here is a link that might be useful: link to set of four x 33 gallon containers

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"You can't grow veggies in treated wood however as far as I know"

Well with the ones that lasted a decade, no, but in 2003 the formulation was changed. They use copper to treat the wood, and heck i spray copper on my stone fruit trees, and if you do a search, you will see it is safe to use. Problem is it won't last a decade anymore.

10 years ago

Well, now I'm nervous. Have been growing potatoes in wooden containers made of PTW. We inherited them with the house. Not sure how old they are, but didn't they use cyanide to treat the wood before 2003? Wish I would have known that when we power sanded the deck. Sorry to take the thread sideways.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"but didn't they use cyanide to treat the wood before 2003?"

I think it was arsenate. I would not worry, wood that old, I bet most of it, if not all of it is long gone. It's cool new wood can be used. Copper will keep the fungi away, very cool!
    Even stains now can be purchased that are acrylic, and again fairly benign. Soap and water wash up.
    I used the new wood and acrylic stain for my beds. It was super cheap to make. 2x12's were used.