Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
higgsr1

Cinniminson in gritty mix pots to kill ants and fungus gnats

Higgsr1
10 years ago

I am noticing alot of small ants in the top of my gritty mix as well as some small flea like flies that I'm assuming are fungus gnats. I've heard sprinkling in cinnamon on top of the soil works.

Would this harm my japanese maple. Also I Did a heavy water today and saw all the ants run out of the pot. Hopefully the heavy watering help drown them out.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (4)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Cinnamon won't hurt...not sure how much it'll help, either.
    I've used it to prevent rot on succulent cuttings and to treat cases of root-rot - in those cases, it was quite effective and never harmed my plants. Anyhow, go ahead and give it a try. I also recommend that you elevate the container - even just an inch or two - and be sure to flush the mix again soon. Terro ant poison works wonders :-)

Also, once you actually have your maple in the Gritty Mix, the fungus gnats will cease to be a problem.

Josh

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I would look for the reason for the ants being attracted to your maples. Do the maples show any sign of aphids or scale, which would produce honey dew and feed the ants? Al

• Higgsr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope no honey dew. I have hollys around my house and def know what honey dew looks like. I did have the pots on the ground. I just recently got them up off the ground. They are the little ants. Could they be attracted to my fertilizer Dyno gro?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

No, they're not attracted to the fertilizer.
    They just like to take up residence in pots...and farm aphids, most of the time.

Josh

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living