Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone tell me what this is on my tomato leaves?

Posted by alpeldunas VA 7A (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 20:41

I posted in the gardening tomatoes forum, but haven't gotten any replies yet. I would like to know what I'm dealing with before I leave for vacation on Sunday. If this tomato needs to be removed, I would like to do it ASAP before it spreads to my other plants. If it's something that can be managed with copper spray and pruning, that would be good news.

A couple days ago, I noticed it looked like some of the leaves of my tomato plants were turning black in places. Upon further inspection, there are many black specks comprising the black areas. I sprayed with copper yesterday (as I have been, but the rain isn't helping that) and this morning, the black has spread and looks much worse. I also see some brownish, dry looking spots that I think are septoria, but a good portion of the leaves have the black specks on them and it's getting worse. So far, I haven't noticed anything on my other plants, save a couple leaves with just a few tiny specks that I suppose I should remove.

I think this is bacterial speck and maybe some septoria as well, but I'm worried it could be TSWV. My cooperative extension office can't help. The plant guy is on vacation until next week and VA Tech's lab is closed until August. I'm hoping someone here can give me some info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone tell me what this is on my tomato leaves?

I get that sometimes. Looks like potassium deficiency. If you increase your fert. regiment should be ok.

Link below for diagnosing tom. plant problems that someone else on the forum posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Diagnosis of Mineral Deficiencies in Plants

o

Black spot fungus.

o

I'm having the same problem as well! Did you find out what it was?

o

Have you had alot of rain? Had some black spotting similar to that on one of my plants this year. I removed the affected leaves and sprayed........haven't seen it since.

o

Like Ed, I've also seen similar spotting on tomato and potato leaves after periods of heavy rain. In my case, at least, it seemed to be more of a nutrient/water issue than disease. I also have firsthand experience with septoria, and your photo certainly doesn't look like septoria to me. At least at this stage, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. It might be fungal, but the definitive sign for me would be further white/yellow discoloration around the black spots.

o

why not spray for fungal issues? This condition (fungal) is so common on tomatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here