Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jethrojames

UPDATE: Automatic water/fertilizer setup.

jethrojames
15 years ago

Hello!

This is an update to a previous post on setting up an automatic water and fertilizer for veggie containers:

Liquid Fert in a self-watering container?

So far, the system has been working great! I went on a 9 day vacation, and knew that a 32 gallon setup would not be enough to feed 9 containers for 9 days. So, I added another 32 gallon trash can in parallel, and hooked it up as before. But, on this second one, just to make sure I did not run out of water, I added a float valve near the bottom the 2nd can that is hooked up to the water spigot. Here are a few photos of the updated setup:

This one shows the float valve at the bottom of the 2nd added trash can.

{{gwi:44906}}

This one shows both of the cans, side by side. At the bottom of the left can, you can see where the water from the spigot is hooked up.

Notice the broken off handle in the lower middle of the pic? That is what happens when you try to move around a trash can full of water! :o)

{{gwi:44907}}

I have continued to use a ~1/10 Miracle Gro mixture (1 tablespoon per 10 gallons). As the mixture gets used up, I add 10 gallons of water and 1 tablespoon of MG, using a 5 gallon bucket. At the current rate of use, I am using about 80% of the two cans every week.

Well, when I got back from vacation, everything worked great! Both cans had drained all the way to the bottom, but the float valve was keeping them watered. Though there was no fertilizer in the water, it did keep the plants from dieing of thirst.

Here is an updated picture of my container garden:

{{gwi:44908}}

From right to left, is Sweet 100 tomatoes, a grape variety tomato, Kentucky Wonder pole beans (x2), Sweet Green Bell (California Wonder), Sweet Pepper (Bonnie Bell), Clemson Spineless (x2). The two in the foreground are also bell peppers, but they are using different types of soil. The one on the right has a variety of tapla's soiless mix (5:2:1 pine bark fine:peat:perlite), and the other was an amended version of a potting soil that did NOT work out; kept the plants around to see what would happen. The container with the soiless mix is hooked up to the system, while the container with the potting soil is not.

Due to problems earlier in the spring, my garden is about 4 weeks behinds everyone else's in the area, but the tomatoes plants are going crazy! This is the first time doing grape tomatoes, and they look pretty cool! Here is a close up of one of the tomato clusters.

{{gwi:44909}}

The pole beans have started to put out some blossoms. I am concerned about the vines over reaching the top. Any one have any experience in "topping" pole beans??

The peppers are all growing well, but only a few blossoms right now. Some concern here, but I have never done well with them in the past. I have never got a pepper that looks like the nice blocky ones you see in the store. Need to do some more research on growing peppers.

The okra have no blossoms yet. They put out really nice yellow flowers; I will have to post a pic of them when they come out.

Ok, long enough! Comments and suggestions are always welcome!

Comments (2)

• justaguy2
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks great! Plants look healthy from what I can see and the maters are flowering/fruiting. I think you got the fertilizer ratio nailed.

A lot of folks have problems with bell type peppers (and some seem to have no problems). I don't really know the reason. I have also had problems in the past that was solvable only by trying many varieties until I found some that did well for me. California Wonder is a variety many raved about, but I never got them to do well for me whereas Bianca is a consistent producer for me. Another solution is to switch from bell types to other sweet peppers like Giant Marconi which is great stuffed, in salads and grilled.

As far as topping pole beans you can do it, but generally once they go over the top of your support they flop over and keep growing. Often they will make a dense mass at the top of the support. If you can still harvest from this mass I would just leave them alone, more yield that way.

• jethrojames
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello JaG!

Thanks for the feed back on growing peppers. I may do as you suggest, and switch to a different type of pepper next year. Or even replace it with something I have not done before, like squash, cucumbers, or corn. This year, I did not do a large variety of tomatoes because I would not use them enough before they went bad. But we have never had a cherry tomato go bad, so I replaced the large variety with a grape variety this year. And I am sure not many of them will not go uneaten! :o)

I have decided not to top the pole beans. I did a little reading on the bean forum here, and it seems it does not help with production or with the mass of vines at the top. It seems that if you top the vine, another will pop else where to take its place. And as it is right now, I think I will need to get a step ladder to get the beans at the top, which is about 8 feet off the ground.

Now, topping the tomatoes may be my bigger concern. They are about 2 foot above the top of the cages and still growing and flowering. I am concerned with it getting top heavy and snapping over. Not having any experience in topping tomato plants, I am a little hesitant to do it.

Thanks as always for your comments and feed back!