Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
On the Act (Art of Watering)

Posted by Nathan.M 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 22:32

Greetings and Salutations!

I am new to the forum (first post!) and also relatively new to container gardening (and plants in general). I’ve actually spent the last few months on the forum reading different articles prior to joining up and have to say I have learned a ton from Al’s posts on Water Movement and Container Soils along with the followups from other forum regulars. So before I ask my questions, I want to thank Al and company for their patience, generosity, and commitment to sharing their knowledge, especially with beginners like me!

I feel like I’ve started to get a handle on the science of container soils and watering from my reading, but I want to check my understanding of one concept briefly first. When watering, I understand that you should water thoroughly (until water comes out of the drainage hole) when the plant needs it rather than watering the first few inches more regularly. The former flushes salts from the soil and ensures that it is fully and evenly wetted, whereas the latter tends to lead to overwatering and stunts root growth because there is no deep water to attract them. Am I on the right track here?

Here’s my first question: With all of the water coming through the drainage holes, you would obviously overflow the drip trays so what is the best technique to thoroughly water your plants? (I’ve been taking mine over to the kitchen sink and letting the excess go down the drain, but was curious about other possibilities especially since I’ve read that plants don’t really like being moved.)

On a different but somewhat related note, I want to start using the 1:1:1 soil mix and have tracked down local ingredients. So, my second question: Do you need to pre-moisturize the mix before transplanting into it to ‘activate’ the soil? (Off topic: What is the best way to go about sifting--I remember Al commenting on using the wind instead of rinsing with water, I think, but am not sure how that would work? I’ve made a screen following tcleigh’s how-to which is fantastically helpful!)

On a related note to the related note, my third question: Do you need to pre-soak clay planters before using? (My wife likes to cook in a clay pot and I know you have to soak it for 10 minutes before putting it in the oven to absorb some moisture…didn’t know if that applied to plants as well--not the putting in the oven part!)

Like I said, I feel like I’m starting to get a handle on the ‘science’ behind watering, but could do with a few tips on the ‘art’ and techniques of how to water. Many thanks to all for your thoughts and feedback!

Nathan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: On the Act (Art of Watering)

Drat! I typed up the post in Word so that I could proofread and spell check and then I managed a typo in the title--I meant "On the Act (Art) of Watering"...darned parentheses. Ah well, chalk it up to first time posting jitters!

My apologies for the typo and many thanks once again for everyone's follow-ups and feedback!

Nathan

o

Using the gritty mix, a have found it works best if I submerge the container in a tub of water overnight to allow the bark and Turface to completely hydrate before planting in it. Al

o

Thanks for the tip Al.

For those who are interested or have the same questions, I did some more digging on the forum and found a couple of very useful related threads that I had overlooked and wanted to included links:

Question re: watering Al's gritty mix - Take a look at the 4th followup post from Laura (loveplants2) which good commentary on how to water and deal with drainage.
Gritty Mix + Citrus Plants + Foilage Pro - Questions - Jodi's (jodik) followup, the second I think, gives a good overview on premoisturizing like Al (calistoga) pointed out to me in his post above.
And of course for other beginner's like me, Al's post here-- Good Growing Practices - An Overview for beginners--is an indisposable resource and very informative, interesting, and helpful as always.

I think the combination of those three links answers the three questions I posed originally in this thread about the techniques for watering so hopefully anyone with similar questions will be able to find the information they need!

Nathan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here