Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
*New Container Garden*...Advice? Tips? Words of Wisdom?

Posted by kissingfrgos2003 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 22:54

Just moved into a new place in IL from CA. I am expanding my efforts in container gardening big time. Out in Cali I had some success with herbs, tomatoes and strawberies. I also learned the cruel world of bolting and improper sunlight (hence my tiny tom tomatoes growing 3 feet tall!!)

In my new place I get full sun, west facing.

I am planning to grow the following:
Strawberries (unsure of variety)
Carrots (little finger)
Edamame (envy soybeans)
Radishes (Sparkler)
Romaine (Tom Thumb) and Spinach (melody) **same container**
Corn (oriental baby)
And various herbs (Basil, cilantro, parsley, dill, oregano, chives, sage, thyme)

Any advice or tips to help me out- especially given the new environment?!?!

I am also wondering if the varieties are OK for containers and if so, what size for the veggies and herbs. I suffocated oregano in my last garden and want everything to thrive this time :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: *New Container Garden*...Advice? Tips? Words of Wisdom?

This is my first year container gardening so you can pretty much take everything I say and do the opposite! If you have a place to hang something, try strawberries in hanging baskets. You can put 3-4 plants in one regular basket and they're beautiful with the green leaves, white and pink flowers, and red fruit.

As far as the other stuff, all I can say is whatever size container you think is good, go a little bigger. Pretty much everything I've done this year, I wished I had used a little bigger container.

Also, self-watering containers are worth it! I'm not really sure if I'm over-watering or under-watering but the plants I have in self-watering containers consistently look much better than the others. I haven't decided whether to do containers again next year or some raised beds but if I do containers, I plan to make some self-watering boxes this winter.

Hopefully somebody here will have better advice for you. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here