Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to create drainage in a raised wooden planter?

Posted by christymoose Massachusetts (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 22:58

I just purchased this product [http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/raised-wooden-planter-boxes.do] which is a beautiful rectangular wooden planter with a PVC bag liner. I just assumed when I ordered it that it would come with drainage holes. It does not. The bottom of the box is wood and although the joints are not watertight, it has no holes and is clearly not designed for drainage. Neither does the PVC bag have any holes in it, whatsoever.

How should I create drainage? This will be placed on my wooden (ipe) deck; is the draining water going to ruin my deck? Also, I want to grow edibles in this planter - will the PVC liner be a problem, i.e., will it leach chemicals?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Raised planter box

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to create drainage in a raised wooden planter?

I think I would make a hole at one of the legs, the one closes to the edge of the deck, using a plastic tubing, which I would cement into the PVC liner. This tubing I would conceal as best I could, along the leg to the deck and over the side. I would cut a piece of landscape fabric to fit the bottom of the PVC liner to prevent the mix from from plugging the drain tubing. Al

o
RE: How to create drainage in a raised wooden planter?

I would do just like Al mentioned, but make sure that you slightly pitch the whole contraption so that gravity drains the water towards your drain outlet. Don't worry about the PVC thing. PVC is only toxic when it burns.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here