Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gritty.size OK?

Posted by Tonio 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 23:38

Wow, gritty mix is more than buying the ingredients... must screen , clean etc etc.

wax on , wax off Daniel san.....;o)

I think I need to redo the screen frame, as I used 2x4's uugh. Made screening quite a task.

Just wanted to get opinons on my gritty mix ingredient sizing:
Turface MVP
crushed granite #5- I got locally from a roofing co.(RSG-Roofing supply group) that sources from A1 Granite from Riverside, CA. But I thin kits #4/5 as the screening was 1/4 minus
bark fines- I got B Stones orchid mix.

I started screening the crushed granite, assuming it is heaviest, so would pose the most work>>> LOL- WRONG !!!!

The bark was the most strenuous and had to do it 2 times for each size screen. Mind you I only had a 1/4" mesh, and aluminum screen. Geezz.. I now have 3 sizes screened out:

L 3/8~1/4"
M 1/4~1/8
Bark powder
Not mention all those long narrow pcs I removed with 1/2" screen.

wax on , wax off Daniel san ;o(

I used the M size bark, so I'll assume I should move up to the L size?
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gritty.size OK?

Oh, I should mention that I plan to use the gritty for outdoors:
Japanese Maple
clivia
clematis
cacti/succulents

Thanks !!

T

o

Hi, T!
Stick with the M size bark, since you're using fir bark.

Josh

o

Hi greenman .... Josh!

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't even realize I had gotten fir bark from the E.B. Stone Orchid mix, though I did study the bark during screening. I didn't pay much attention to actual ingredients other than the size for local purchase.
I thought it looked like a mix of fir & pine

Is fir bark more dense for you to suggest using the medium size? Or is it more about being suited for the plants / appropriate in my zone.

Rather difficult finding a local nursery that carries Dyna Gro,Foliage pro 9-3-6, Al recommends.

T

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here