Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange/deformed SunFlower leaves~

Posted by jojosplants Az. z. 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 23:50

I have a Sunflower that has developed the strangest leaves! They are really thick, and odd shaped. Kind of like only half a leaf. The first few sets of leaves were normal.
They are not in containers, but I wanted to post them here anyway due to the amount of people that are growing in ground also here.

We've been growing Sunflowers for about 10 yrs now, and have never seen anything like this before. lol...

Normal leaf

Photobucket

And the row above it , you can see where the odd ones start.

Photobucket

Close up of odd leaf

Photobucket

Top view of plant

Photobucket

JoJo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange/deformed SunFlower leaves~

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 15:41

If it's a nutritional issue, it's almost certainly a micronutrient, and I'd put my money on boron being most deficient.

Other possible causes are nutrient toxicity or phyto-toxins in the soil, or herbicide injury.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More reading

o

Hi Al~
Thank you! That link you gave has some great info!

If it is a deficiency wouldn't it affect other plants?
I have 8 squash, other sunflowers, and a few other plants in the same bed.

I know it's not herbicide injury, I have never sprayed or used any.

The bed was prepared with home made compost from my parents, and a little bone meal and blood meal. I use a little MG fertilizer once or twice a week.

The plant itself matches what the link suggests for boron, but the growing conditions don't quite match. I'll read it again and yell with questions. lol..

I'll have to read up a little on nutrient toxicity or phyto-toxins in the soil, I'm not real sure what they mean.

It's loaded with flower buds, but the plant it's self is about 3' shorter than what it should be right now too. :-)

Thanks!
JJ

o

bugs or chemical mutant lol

o

Hi, JoJo.
Looks like something nibbled the tip of the young leaf whilst it was growing.

Josh

o

Hi Josh!
It's the craziest thing I've ever seen in the garden! The entire top half of the plant is this way, and the other 5 or 6 (diff. varieties) are in the same row , and are fine.

It's about 15 leaves .

I'm going to plant a few more of this variety in diff. beds and am anxious to see what happens. ;-)

JoJo

o

"The bed was prepared with home made compost from my parents,"
I'm really reaching here for any chemical, like grass weed killer.
KennyP

o

Hi Kenny,
Thanks, but no.

Mom and dad don't use any chemicals at all! Dad was raised on a farm, all organic, and they don't even have grass. 5 acres of desert. :-)

I guess maybe I worded that odd.. I was basicly saying I didn't purchase any from home depot or such.. by parents I was thinking organic, but didn't say at the time.

JoJo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here