Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Woolly thyme with JM in gritty mix???

Posted by mylespickett 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 23:59

Hey everyone... I have a couple of questions maybe someone can help me with. I have a couple of 4" woolly thyme pots i picked up for $1 and want to add a little something to a containerized maple in Al's gritty mix. Would there roots be to invasive? I believe the watering regimen would be suitable for both. If the Answer is no to woolly thyme (I love the texture and compact ess of the foliage), maybe someone has had good experience with something else as a "container ground over". It does need to stand up to some morning sun exposure though. Any advice or comments would be much appreciated. :)

P.S. I've been having to use "hapi gro/ hope agri products, 100% organic compost", for my pine bark; which seems to me like semi composted pine bark fines about 1/8"-1/6" in size. Should I switch to sifting pine park mulch before its too late?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Woolly thyme with JM in gritty mix???

That hapi-gro product varies a lot.. sometimes it's perfect for 5:1:1, sometimes it's full of sapwood. For gritty mix though, you absolutely should be sifting out the pieces of bark. Otherwise the "fines" just fill up the air spaces between the other components and defeat the whole purpose of the gritty mix.

o

Thanks Greentiger, yea I guess I got lucky with a bag or two because I sifted and was able to use about 70% of what I sifted. I'll be sure to start sifting the big bark from now on.
Now ill be in business if someone can chime in on some advice for the thyme? I wonder, is it any different than growing you're conventional, garden thyme or creeping thyme (probably not???). Thanks again.

o

Yes, I wish some one would chime in as well.

That sounds like a wonderful idea to conserve moisture (like mulching) and would look really nice with 'elfin' thyme.

SM13

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here