Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about Al's 5-1-1 Mix

Posted by mikedavid00 Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 1:19

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the mix.

-I understand the mix needs pellet dolomite lime. I keep hearing that powder is better but I'm afraid that the powder will just leave with the run-off. At least I know the pellet would stay put. What is the difference between the two and what do YOU use? How long does the lime take to 'kick in'.

-Does root inoculant like Mycorrhizae and Trichoderma work in this mix with mix? I'm feeding the Dyna-Grow Foliage 9-3-6 that Al recommends and tap water.

-Does a moisture meter work to detect moisture in this mixture? How do i know when it's dry?

-Do any of you use things the 'snake oil' products like Liquid Karma (humic acid, molasses, etc) or things like B1 Superthrive.

-Is there a method you use to germinate seeds in the 5-1-1 mix? I was thinking of rockwool cubes for the seed and letting them sprout into the mix.

-Are aged pine bark fines considered 'organic'?

Any help would be appreciated... thanks a bunch!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about Al's 5-1-1 Mix

'Organic' means carbon-based...so, yes, pine bark is organic.

I use powdered Dolomitic Lime. You sprinkle it in with the ingredients, then mix it together.
The lime phase reaction takes anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks to complete, which is why it is
often recommended to make your mix ahead of time. However, there is no danger in mixing
and potting the same day. I've done it many, many times.

In a large volume of 5-1-1, where moisture and temperature is moderated, I imagine that some
innoculants might work....but I do not use any, and I only know one guy who does - and his
results are far too variable to draw meaningful conclusions.

Instead of a moisture meter, just stick a kabob skewer or other stick into the container to
check for moisture. It's the easiest way.

I germinate seeds directly in the 5-1-1, but I start most seeds in a Gritty Mix.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here