Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moss rose leggy, appears exhausted

Posted by horkus1 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 2:02

I have been growing moss rose for over 15 years now and they have always thrived here in Atlanta. Goodness knows we have the heat and the average level of humidity makes caring for these just about as easy as possible. This year I planted them as usual (I am a container gardener) and, as usual, they took off with huge gorgeous blooms in no time. Now that we are late in the summer, I am seeing something I have never seen before with these flowers: they are far too leggy and look rather ragged despite that they continue to bloom.

I know these normally do not require deadheading let alone pruning but they just look terribly tired. Any idea what would happen if I pruned them back? Will I just kill them if I do so?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moss rose leggy, appears exhausted

I'm wondering if you are getting new plants from the nursery, planting from purchased seed, or are you using your seeds saved from previous years?

I have been puzzled by the way my moss rose/portulaca/purslane behaved this year too. I had a hanging basket of an apricot colored bloom that did great, blooming all over in the morning, but in the afternoon it sort of closed down and looked sort of wilted. Is that what you are noticing?

I also put another plant in the ground near this container plant, and it behaved the same way. So I do not think the roots are getting too hot for the container plant, any more than they do for the soil plant. Both opened buds all over the plant, grew like crazy and became quite large. I did not have any "leggy" look, but noticed the increase in size.

It has been super humid in Mobile, feels like a sauna to be honest. I'm not sure if portulaca likes the humidity or not, but surely Atlanta is not as humid as south Alabama with Gulf moisture always present.

I do deadhead mine when they look a bit slow at blooming, and sometimes pinch off the growing tips. Like you say, they are usually strong and dependable growers. I do not think they will suffer if you pinch them back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here