Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I care for a small topiary tree in a container?

Posted by DandyLioness CA 9, SZ14 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 2:53

I don't know much about this, and before I just go off and kill a plant I figured I would ask for advice here first. I really love these little Lemon Cypress ball topiaries but I'm having a hard time finding information on how to care for them.

-Can these be grown indoors near a well-lit window?
-If not, can they still be in containers outside? What conditions do they require? Would my zone be good for growing these?
-Can these be kept small (~2 ft to top of ball)? How small is the minimum?
-How large of a container do these require?

If it's completely implausible to grow one of these, I'd love to hear recommendations on any similar looking plants that I can try. :)

lemon_cypress_topiary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I care for a small topiary tree in a container?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 4:42

I grow several examples of a close relative of your plant in containers (Cupressus pygmaea - dwarf Mendocino cypress) and I really like them. I'm sorry to say that I don't think you'll have much luck treating them as a houseplant. The three main reasons are, they like a cold winter's rest; they need full sun, and indoor light is probably not going to satisfy them; and they need air movement to help keep them pest free. I would look at air conditioning and central heating as a disadvantage as well - if those considerations are in play.

Your zone is ideal for growing them outdoors, but I'd give them some protection in winter if the temperature is expected to drop below 25-28*.

The plant can be kept VERY small with regular attention to grooming, and if you learn how to prune the roots when you repot (as opposed to potting up) you can keep them in very small containers for a very long while.

A similar looking plant would be rosemary. You could also try a Shimpaku juniper (Juniperus chinensis/sargentii 'Shimpaku'), which would need no winter protection.

Al

If you're interested in maintaining a woody plant in a container for the long term, see the link below for more help.

Here is a link that might be useful: More about woody material in containers ....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here