Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time growing, what to do at end of season?

Posted by I.am.ryan none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 7:04

Hi folks,

This year I decided to expose my young son to the world of gardening (and also myself). Since we are apartment dwellers we had to use containers. We've been using plain old MG potting mix in 4 and 5 gallon plastic buckets (one bucket has some clay soil that we dug up) and are successfully (so far) growing some tomatoes, carrots, peas and pumpkins.

My desire is to use all this potting mix again next growing season to save some money. Could I simply add some compost to make up for lost levels of the potting mix and nutrients? Would it be advisable to save the plants and roots once the food is harvested and let them decompose into the potting mix?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time growing, what to do at end of season?

Welcome Ryan to the GardenWeb. I note that you just joined, and lots of your fellow gardeners will help you get started. It would help if you would edit your name area to indicate where you garden. We can't tell whether you are in Alaska or Texas. Potting mix is costly, but it does deteriorate and your plants will show it. In our area we can buy potting mix in bulk from our landscape supply much cheaper than the bagged stuff at the nursery. Here you can bring your own container or use their one cubic foot plastic bags which they fill for you. Check your local sources. Al

o

I've always reused my soil. I would add the compost to it. Throw out the old veggie plants. If you want to compost do that in a separate container. Welcome to the wonderful world of gardening!

o

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and updated my growing area.

I have heard potting mix deteriorates. I'm hoping compost will make it usable for another season or more. If not then it'll be a good science experiment for my oldest.

o

You could always mix up some of the 5-1-1 mix listed on this forum. It's much cheaper then buying premixed potting soil, and will last quite a while. It's usually not best to reuse soil due to potential disease transfer, but if you to reuse a soil, the 5-1-1 has very good longevity. You can always rejuvenate by adding more pine bark. It can also be composted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here