Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Tomatoes in Shavings or Sawdust Instead of Soil

Posted by yumtomatoes 10b/FLA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 7:05

This is for container tomatoes. Has anyone tried this? I presume shavings means wood shavings.

It was recommended as less troublesome than using soil in the UF article linked to below on page 5 "Container Culture."

Here is a link that might be useful: UF Article

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Tomatoes in Shavings or Sawdust Instead of Soil

I have to disagree with that logic. Firstly, sawdust is VERY fine in texture, and would probably just turn into a soupy mess, and not allow for good aeration. Secondly, any uncomposted wood product like sawdust or wood shavings will tie up nitrogen as it decomposes. Also, unless they are your wood shavings, how do you know what's in the shavings? Were they swept off of the floor, and if so, what else was on the floor? Is there sawdust from treated lumber in it? I would be more concerned with it being a poor potting mix though.

Joe

o
RE: Growing Tomatoes in Shavings or Sawdust Instead of Soil

It didn't sound like a good idea to me, either, but I wasn't sure since the source is reputable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here