Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
almost there

Posted by Suzy11 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 9:15

Hi! Two questions. I am about to repot a drawf blueberry bush. How do you use soil acidifier? Do you only put it ontop of the soil? Also, the bag said to apply it in 60 day intervels. For a blueberry bush did I repeat more than once?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: almost there

Elemental sulfur is insoluble, so it will be more effective if you thoroughly incorporate it. In order for it to lower pH, sulfur has to be metabolized by microorganisms, which takes time -- anywhere from months up to a year or more. Microbial activity declines as soil temperatures decline, so it will act more slowly (if at all) in fall and winter. The only way to know if you need to make further applications is to test the soil pH. Of course, if your previous applications haven't been fully metabolized, you run the risk of adding too much and lowering the pH too far.

This post was edited by shazaam on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 19:31

o

That is technical but I understand. The soil I will be using has a pH of 6 to 6.5 so if the highest I could have is 5.4 there is only a difference of six. so you think I only need one application?

o

If I put sa in the hole will the roots be ok? Do I also sprinkle to on top?

o

If soil acidifer. Takes too long, can I use Jack's acid?

o

While Jack's will help to maintain a lower pH over time, it's not suitable for lowering pH in the first place. As for your other questions, I don't know if one application of soil acidifier will be enough or not. All I know to suggest is to follow the directions on the product package and hope for the best. Next spring, check the soil pH. If it's still too high, you might consider adding more. To get the best results, you need to incorporate it throughout the soil as thoroughly as possible. This can be difficult, of course, if you're adding it to pot that's already planted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here