Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newly acquired Dischidia, Million hearts

Posted by hookilau long island NY (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 9:16

I recently got my hands on several Dischidia cuttings via Ebay after an unfruitful search locally over the course of several weeks.

They arrived in a very light mix that looks like the 511 but with styrofoam balls in place of perlite, though I could be wrong. My plan is to pot up individual cuttings in a gritty mix. Since I see there are what look like aerial roots & I've read it's epiphytic, so I'm wondering if I should coil each cutting around the circumference of the 4" pot in order to get a nice full plant.

If you keep or have kept this plant any thoughts, advice or considerations would be greatly appreciated =)

Antoinette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newly acquired Dischidia, Million hearts

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 16:52

Even w/o experience with the plant, it looks like you could just cut pieces with a couple of sets of leaves & lay them on the soil where they should root. Use a Ziploc bag with an opening at the top until the plants are rooted. That's what I'd do if your stated goal was my goal. ;-)

The coiling plan should work, too.

Al

o
RE: newly acquired Dischidia, Million hearts

Hi Al :) thanks for affirming that coiling is a viable idea. I like a neat habit & well, all the plants I saw online must've been neatly groomed on the regular (& mature) cause I can see how this plant can get outta hand :)

It has such a interesting habit, I thought someone might have additional ideas of how to display other than the usual hanging basket.

Antoinette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here