Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherokee Purple

Posted by bigpinks 6SCOhio (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 9:24

The plant I have in an 18 gallon tote of the 5-1-1 produced really nice tasty tomatoes in July and then nothing. Too hot I guess. I continued treatment and it now has over 20 tomatoes again from marble to baseball size. I am pretty much taken with this variety but this is my first time growing it. I have seed I bought and prob will never have to but any again. Anybody still have CP doing well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherokee Purple

My CPS are in a lull because of the mid summer heat, too. However, the first ones were great and I'm looking forward to the next round. Will surely grow this one again.

o

• Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 11:46

I am growing CP in a 15 gallon pot which I think allowed the roots to get a little scorched when we had a couple weeks of 100 and near 100 degree days.

The CP got leaf roll, probably from heat from stress, and it never went away. Nonetheless, the plant continues to flower and fruit and looks better than some of the other tomato plants in a raised bed nearby.

The only problem now is ugly cracking from all the rain we are suddenly getting. I hope to transform the container into a self watering one next year which I hope will minimize the cracking.

I am planning on growing CP again, and also trying it's cousin "Indian Stripe" next year.

o

Same results here. I've got mine in a 15 gal container. Got a great early crop, then a lull. Now there is a whole new crop coming, but unless we have a record warm September, they probably won't ripen. I'm pruning the small ones, and focusing on a few larger ones hoping they'll ripen.

o

This was my first CP grow this year also,fell in love with it from first bite also Russian Persimmonwas quite tasty before the disease monster befell all .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here