Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thegreenone

Eartainer Fertilizer

thegreenone
13 years ago

Hi all,

i live in Europe (Norway) im planning on making an earthtainer for tomatoes and peppers, i have one question on fertilizer.

Here in Norway we dont have the same brands of fertilizers as in the US. The viarity is rather slim too.

i found this fertilizer that is called "full-fertilizer" 12-2-16. it is made out for chicken manure added N and K.

its not in powder form but in pellets.

i wonder if i cant use this fertilizer for the fertilizing strips, or is this too powerfull because of the fact that its chicken-manure based?.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:45886}}

Comments (9)

• rnewste
    13 years ago

By any chance, can you get a product made in Germany called Tomaten Dunger?

{{gwi:45889}}

It is an excellent tomato fertilizer. The 12-2-16 fertilizer is too potent in "N" and "K", so I would try to find something in the area of 4-7-10.

Raybo

• thegreenone
    Original Author
    13 years ago

RAybo tnx for answering, no don't think that fertilizer is aviable here in Norway, i will take a trip to local gardenstore and check out other aviable fertilizer types.

on another matter, in the guide ver2.0 in the pro-section its mentioned that to add "ground bark" for additional air for the rootsystem. but i have read that when bark decomposes it will consume N in the process thus more fertilizers should be added in the fertilizing strip`?.

in Norway we usually mix what is called "leca balls" into the soil to make it ligher and provide additional air to root. i haven't seen this discusses in earthtainer uses, do you think this is a good replacement for the bark?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:45888}}

• rnewste
    13 years ago

Leca balls would be an excellent addition for the Combo Mix in place of Groundcover Bark. Here in the U.S. Leca is not so available and they are very expensive, so only used in hydroponics. You should have a very nice growing medium with Leca.

Raybo

• ivanaz
    12 years ago

I'm going to try and get Tomaten Dunger fertilizer for my Earthtainers. Should I use anything else apart from that for tomato plants?

• rnewste
    12 years ago

ivanaz,

Just add in the Dolomite Lime too. i am going to edit the Construction Guide on the next revision, and now recommend using 3 Cups, rather than the current 2 Cups of Lime. The EarthTainer is about twice as large as the commercial EarthBox I own, and as I recall, the instructions which came with that product called for 2 Cups Dolomite Lime. You do the Math...

Raybo

• ivanaz
    12 years ago

Thank you for the info. Regular lime that is sold here should have some dolomite in it, but I'll try to find proper dolomite lime.

As for the Tomaten Dunger fertilizer, how much would you use, per plant? I love your design for the Earthtainers, but I'll have to adapt it for the round 13 gallon containers that are available to me, so I'm going to go with one tomato per container.

• rnewste
    12 years ago

ivanaz,

I don't have experience with the type of container you are using, so hopefully others can give you expert advice.

Raybo

• ivanaz
    12 years ago

I would just like to know how much Tomaten Dunger fertilizer do you use for your Earthtainer with two plants - I'm guessing half of that for one plant in a 50% smaller container would be about right. I would love it if I could replicate your design to the letter and avoid the guess work, but a container like the one you're using costs 6 times more than a round 13 gallon one, so using it would make the whole project prohibitively expensive for me.

• rnewste
    12 years ago

I put 2 Cups of fertilizer per 31 gallon EarthTainer, in a strip between the 2 plants.

Raybo