Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

A pride, joy with a big fragrance! Pictures

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

I can't believe how many flowers my little 6inch high "jasmine" is getting as of today..

They smell remarkably sweet and potent! Love this plant, along with my citrus.

This is a first time for me, to be able to grow this jasmine up here, since all others previous I would kill from rot. It is also a first time for me to keep all my citrus alive and healthy into a third year!

This time, my latest plant was planted in the 5.1.1 mix as "soon" as I took it home, months ago, and it seems to be enjoying the mix with all my others..

Thank you to all who supported me with this mix, your time, and patience..

Mike..:-)

{{gwi:45892}}

{{gwi:45893}}

Some extra plants in the 5.1.1 mix..5 parts bark, 1 part peat, 1 part perlite.

Grapefruit

{{gwi:45894}}

Washington Navels

{{gwi:45895}}

{{gwi:45896}}

Meyer Lemons

{{gwi:45897}}

{{gwi:45898}}

Ponderosa Lemon

{{gwi:45899}}

I have no idea...

{{gwi:45900}}

baby philodendrons..

{{gwi:45901}}

{{gwi:45902}}

Gardenia busting forth with a second set of flowers.

{{gwi:45903}}

Thank you

Comments (9)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Beautiful, Mike!
    My gardenia looks gross compared to yours!

Josh

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Beautiful mike,i have no luck whatsoever with gardenias,never have and probably never will.I think they don't like me!!! LOL
    Kathi

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Strong work, Mike!!! Good job.

Al

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I don't think I have seen healthier plants. Your citrus I am happy to see are from my friends at Four Winds. Of all plants I think citrus is the one that will tell you EXACTLY its state of health just by looking at the foliage. Al

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much Al's...

The both of you have been such an encouragement, ispiration, and support for me all the years..:-)

Al,they are my friends at Four Winds too...Love them all there, including the wonderful owner..Their product is superb too.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh and um,

Thank you Greenman28 and Kathi...Your words are kind.

Don't read the "suicidal" thread on gardenias...lol. You will probably never buy another unless you are like me and want to defy all odds on this one..lol

• drich30099
    13 years ago

Hi there!! I don't think I've been to this forum before, but have had trouble with my container of annuals this summer. Now that we're nearing the end of summer, i have 2 pots of petunias that I have to throw out, soon, they look awful! Any help on that would be great, soil mix or food secrets?! I probably filled these 2 huge pots a couple of yrs ago with cheap, generic potting soil, could that be it?
    I fed with Osmocote early on, and supplemented with Schultz Bloom Plus.
    My friend has gorgeous pots of annuals, she uses milorganite and an organic plant food, about 1/2c. ea. of those, i think dillutes in her watering can and waters with this 1 time a week or so. does that make sense?
    Am I buyhing poor quality plants? Someone told me to buy somewhere else.
    Please help, next yr. I'd like to have nicer pots of flowers!
    AND help with potting mix with houseplants too, the average philodendrons, draceanas etc. I have a dark grn. draceana that is very unhappyt right now.
    Mike, I have that Philodendron you have in the one pic, that has the red stems? It was on the clearance rack last yr. Lost a couple of leaves in the winter, so it really doesn't look like much now, just about 4 leaves, and it won't grow!! help!

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Mike, all your plants look fat and sassy. The small Grand Duke will be big before long!

Can you tell me what the 5-1-1 mix is, or direct me to a post on this?

deb, try cutting back your petunias hard, to maybe 6-8 inches. They will branch out. Then pinching them every 4-5 inches will keep them sturdy and full. Petunias will bloom on til hard frost, so it's worth trying the cutback before throwing out.

re your neighbopr's plants, petunias do tend to get viny after awhile. Some people pinch tips more or less automatically, maybe that is what she is doing differently?

re potting mix, I've used Miracle Grow Moisture Control for several years. Very good.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Debrichard,

Watch for a picture of my pitunias tomorrow, ok. Then you can tell me if I am the right one to help you on this..:-)

Hi Mechitbel.
    It is awsome to see you took a stroll over here...Let me just start by saying that if it were not for this forum, growing my fragrant plants would be virtually impossible...Especially, the infamous gardenia...lol

Let me direct you to a thread about the mix since I do not feel I deserve any credit for these super mixes that have made it possible to post these pics..
    I was encouraged to give these mixes a try, and I will forever be indebted to the one who introduced me to this, and those that have always supported me to grow what I could never grow, especially in my growing zone..

Here is a link to get you started on possibly a fantastic journey...

Thank you for your kind words, and debrichard too..:-0)

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0212444023053.html

The top link simplifies it a bit.

The bottom link will hook you up with a WEALTH of info for free..More valuable than any book could show you..Expect to sit back and do lot's of enjoyable reading, if you are up to that....:-)

You will take away a stealth of never to be forgotten information and provide care for your plants in a way you never would of thought of...
    My plants have always rewarded me with every thing they can do to their best..I love them all now, and they me.:-)
    Yes, I love my gardenias too, when at once we were enemies...lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention X