Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Those resin pots---or styrofoam?----pots

Posted by Ladybug0119 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 9:55

I bought several of those very light-weight pots yesterday at Garden Ridge. These are not plastic, but those that are meant to look like the real thing. These don't quite feel as substantial as resin---maybe even more light weight. I am using them as containers for the flimsy plastic nursery plastic pots inside, but would really prefer to plant the plants in these containers themselves and take them out o f the nursery pots. I'm wondering how these pots hold up to potting soil and watering. I just didn't want to fool with the heavy clay ones that dry out so quickly. Any comments or advice are appreciated very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Those resin pots---or styrofoam?----pots

Are these for water gardens (to be submersed) or are these pots that look like paper mache, but are meant to withstand freezing temperatures without breaking and help insulated the roots? If yes to the latter, I have two of these large pots for 3 years now and they are excellent. I drilled a drainage hole in each, added some pebbles and sand and potting soil. They take water without any problem and are very sturdy and light.

Hope this helps,

Claudia

o

Claudia, thanks a lot. These pots I have remind me more of paper mache than the heavier resin actually. They are going to be used inside the house.

o

I have used the styrofoam pots for several years now. They have done beautifully in spite of freeze-thaws and harsh weather. I drill several holes (3 for a 9" pot or more for larger pots) with a 1/2" spade bit to make the drainage better, but other than that, I use them as is.

o

• Posted by Mammie Southern IL (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 31, 05 at 0:34

I love them. All my plants overwintered wonderfully in them, the styrofoam type, I mean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here