Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mulching in pots

Posted by aseedisapromise z4.5 SD (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 10:16

Last fall I moved, and I received some replacement iris rhizomes from a company for some that were mislabeled, that I wanted to take with me. So I put them in pots. But I really had a hard time keeping the mix in the pots wet enough to induce the rhizomes to start to grow into it. So what I did was I put a board over the pots, with the fan of leaves sticking up above it. This worked really well, and I took notice that mulching in a pot might be just as good as mulching things grown in the ground. Has anyone else tried this? I put bark mulch about an inch deep over the mix in my pots of geraniums and other annuals this year, and I thought so far it works great. Has anyone experienced a problem with doing this? Are some things better to use than others?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mulching in pots

For those pots growing a plant with a single stem, I mulch with fir bark pieces of about 3/8 inch, which helps prevent weeds and moisture loss. For plants sending up multiple stems from the roots, I do not use mulch. Al

o

I also mulch with a little ground pine bark in my container blueberries. The sun pounds them all day long and it helps a little to keep the moisture in, and the soil surface stays a little cooler IMO.

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 11:14

I mulch pots too, mostly using a pea gravel...my original reason was to stop or at least slow down squirrels and a (lonly-so far) chipmunk from digging.
It works quite well, and helps to retain some moisture too.

Rina

o

Add me to the list of those who mulch with Bark.
I never mulch deeper than 1 inch, though, and I pull back the mulch during the Winter.

Josh

o

Thanks everyone for your responses. I didn't think I was so smart that I thought up a new thing, but I wondered if there was some problem that I didn't think of. Since just about nothing would survive winter in a pot around here, pulling the mulch back for winter wouldn't apply to me, but maybe it is a good point for others with year-round pots. I have heard of people putting coarse rock on the top of soil in pots of house plants to keep cats out of them. Also there's the people doing it for esthetic reasons. I also wonder if it would make a difference in, say, pots of annuals that are planted thickly so the foliage eventually covers all the soil.

o

I find with a bark based mix (5-1-1), I don't need to mulch, since the soil mix itself is very mulch like. That being said, if people have issues with excessive heat and evaporation, using a non-porous mulch such as white stones would be appropriate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here