Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with used potting soil?

Posted by Andy_E SF Bay CA 9/14 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 05 at 10:22

Hi folks,

For those of you who have a lot of containers and repot regularly (potting up and/or just refreshing the outer layer of soil), what do you do with the old soil? I have been dumping it in various places around my backyard but it's starting to pile up. Any ideas on something productive to do with it or how best to get rid of it?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with used potting soil?

I just add it to low spots in the ground gardens. Given that I am several yards of topsoil short in some areas I don't think I will need to find another use anytime soon ;-)

o

each year - I will empty about 1/3 of the potting soil and then put fresh in. What I take out goes into my compost piles and then gets reused in the garden beds as top dressing. If you don't have gardens to use it in - the soil can be raked in your yard. It will enrich your grass and the soil there. Use a leaf rake to spread it so as not to damage the grass too much and then water down or do it before a good soaking rain.

o

ammend it with fresh compost's,and reuse it?

o

Unless your containers have had some disease problems, there is no valid reason NOT to reuse potting soil. Most of my containers are permanent plantings so repotting is relatively infrequent, but the more seasonal containers have their soil reused year after year with the additions of some new potting soil, often additional perlite, plus screened compost and slow release fertilizer.

o

• Posted by Andy_E SF Bay CA 9/14 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 13:34

I would think that the breakdown of the organic components of the soil and the overall deterioration of the soil structure would be good reasons not to reuse old potting soil. Am I overthinking this?

Andy

o

I don't think one season of use of previously fresh potting mix would break down the soil that much. Like others, I reuse but will mix with fresh soil in about a 1/3rd old to 2/3rd new and that lets me actually recycle the soil for new plantings. Most of my stuff is pretty stable (shrubs & perennials) and so I'm not doing that much repotting anymore.

o

It's prohibitively expensive not to resuse, plus, for us city patio gardeners, a real problem re waste. Yes, I resuse. My annuals are all in exhausted potting soil, kept going by fertilizer (MiracleGro and Ozmocote, in various permutations). My big plants (trees, big vines) certainly don't get new soil--how would I tip the pots? The only things that get babied are the roses, and that only to a degree when they are being potted up. The old soil then goes into new pots for annuals. But a climbing rose past a certain point obviously doesn't get potted up--it would be damaging--and neither does a shrub that looks healthy and well.

o

I compost it.

o

I use it to pot up my extra perennials for my yard sale.

o

I reuse it. I plant annuals in containers, such as tomatoes and basil. When they are dead in the fall, I empty all my pots into a large plastic bag. In the spring, I add some manure or worm castings, bone-meal and bloodmeal. Mix it all up and use it to start planting my starts or seedlings.
caveat- I don't reuse the soil if a plant had some sort of disease or infestation.

o

Start a compost pile ... if you do not want it seen plant some schrubs or flowers around it... Great for old potting soil,dead plants,cuttings,ETC. ETC.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here