Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lime in Homemade Potting Soil

Posted by esre none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 10:25

I wanted to try making potting soil but am new at this....does it matter what kind of lime is used? I have Sta-Green Rapid-Lime with Soluble Calcium but have seen others recommend Espoma Garden Lime...is there a difference between the two? I just don't want to ruin anything by using the wrong product.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lime in Homemade Potting Soil

Hi E, The powder form is more available and quicker than the granular. If you have granular...you can put it in the blender and break it down. Dolomite (garden lime) with a calcium/magnesium ratio of 2-1 is perfect. This balances the acidic properties found in peat-based potting mixes.

o

I also recommend dolomitic lime. Do you know how much to use in your mix? Too much is worse than too little.

o

I also recommend dolomitic lime. Do you know how much to use in your mix? Too much is worse than too little.

o

Oh my goodness, I read the title and thought someone was mixing lime (Citrus ×latifolia) with potting soil...my bad. Sharing because of the absurdity of it all...

o

• Posted by esre none (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 9:36

Thanks for your replies. I'm confused whether I can use this lime in a homemade potting soil? I got it from near the grass seed section of the store- the bag says Sta-Green Rapid-Lime with Soluble Calcium.
I read about Al's 5:1:1 mix on the forum and wanted to try making it..I should've mentioned that before...

o

To add my 1 cent to this convo in a meaningful way. If it's pure lime (read the contents...hopefully they labelled) and not a bunch of other stuff, I'd feel free to mix it in cautiously.

Cautiously because more plants prefer neutral to acidic soil than higher alkalinities.....

o

Do you have a goal as far as your PH is concerned? Depending on what you are planting, or just to reach a neutral state? It is easy to check the PH. A test kit for PH is easy to find. Al

o

• Posted by esre none (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 11:38

dbarron, It looks like it has Calcium 38%, magnesium 0.4%, humic acid 2%, lignin sulfonate 8%, but there are other things on the label I don't even know how to read (minimum ECCE 94.19%, calcium carbonate 95%, etc.).

calistoga, I wanted this soil for some basic house plants because I'm not having luck with the pre-packaged soils (I think they are too heavy and stay too wet); I was just going to follow the recipe exactly and see how they did...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here