Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kareninky

flowering perennials in containers

kareninky
18 years ago

I am looking for flowering perennials to put in about 15 containers that now have annual flowers. Does anyone have some suggestions for me? Maybe even some small flowering bushes? I've tried coneflowers and they died along with some daisies but the two clematis came back strong this year. I'm tired of buying annual flowers for all these containers. I need perennials. The containers are varying sizes but most are on the large size. I live in zone 5/6.

Comments (14)

• Bonbon_N_KS
    18 years ago

I'm containing balloon flower this year, the lady at Lowe's said it's hardy to -40 degrees! Will you be bringing the pots to a basement or garage during winter?

• luciecat
    18 years ago

There's a miniature gardenia that would do great in a container. I don't know if it would winter over in your area, though. It has the added bonus of being evergreen. See if it's available in your area. Also, alot of the roses do well in containers. Good luck! :)

• faltered
    18 years ago

I've got lilies in some containers. I saw them on our garden walk last year and loved the look! You can put about 3 lilies in a 16" pot. Mine have big buds that are about to burst open any day (these are orientals).

I think next year I'm going to try some asiatics, too.

Tracy

• duckee
    18 years ago

I have Platycodon 'Sentimental Blue', Sedum 'Autumn Fire', Achillea 'Moonshine', and various hostas in plastic pots that overwinter outside without special care. But they were under so much snow cover I didn't see them for months! I also have a miniature rose and a deciduous azalea that get their pots buried for the winter.

My 'Butter Pixie' asiatic lilies did not survive being left outside in their foam pot. Probably needed better draining soil than I had used.

• kareninky
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The containers will remain outside at all times

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

You can try daylilies, asiastic lilies, oriental lilies, hosta, irises, peonies, roses, clematis, lily of the valley, Sedum 'Autumn Joy', creeping phlox (all of which I have or have had). And this year, I'm trying bleeding hearts, heuchera, variegated jacob's ladder, and bee balm. The lilies are supposedly hardy to zone 5 and in some cases (depending on the type) to zone 4.

Here's one of mine this year (I have to divide my lily containers desperately):

{{gwi:2154}}

The bee balm is supposed to be pretty hardy - to zone 3 as is the phlox I believe. Here's the bee balm (my hummer loved it - this is 'Jacob Cline')!

{{gwi:45962}}

Some others that I have like an Agastache, some cannas, and a couple Salvias, are marginal or not hardy, so I will be trying to overwinter those somewhere.

I think you might like the peonies though. I have been really happy with my herbaceous one - a Sarah Bernhardt (have wintered it for 2 years now in its current container - a 14"), and am trying a baby grafted Seidei tree peony for the first time, but would love some others if I had more room! I don't even mulch them and the rhizome eyes are right at the top of the soil pretty much uncovered. In your case, you could probably throw about an inch of soil on top of they eyes and call it a day. If you get early, mid, and late-flowering ones, you can get something like 6 weeks worth of peony blooms and some decent foliage for the rest of the time.

The peony (and this year I tried a peony grid ring but obviously it wasn't tall enough...LOL):

{{gwi:281}}

• radagast
    18 years ago

I've been growing daylilies, coneflowers, perrenial salvia (May Night), and now yarrow on my balcony garden in containers for up to 5 years for some of the plants. I haven't lost anything yet, save for the one daylily that got an incurable case of thrips that ruined the flowers (nothing to do with overwintering), so it is possible.

The key with most of these plants is to NOT overwater, but don't let them dry out. Still, you are better off letting them get too dry than too wet. This is probably true for most plants, at least from what I've seen!

Now, you do live in a colder climate than I do, so more care will need to be taken in the winter, of course, but it should still work.

• rain1950
    18 years ago

I got a good deal on a bunch of perrenials this summer, but the bed for them isn't ready yet so I built up some containers using oak pallet boards. These are mostly low growing rock garden types. Hebe's are like miniture shrubs with great variations in leaf shape, color and form; one mimics boxwood in form. There were also:

Ceanothus gioriosus - Point Reyes
    Euonymus fortunei - Emerald 'n' Gold
    Gaultheria procumbens - Wintergreen
    Hebe
    Buxifolia
    'Patty's Purple'
    Pinguifolia - pagei
    Topiaria
    Lithodora
    Grace Ward
    Ocymoides (saponaria)
    Rock Soapwort
    Oxalis
    Copper Glow
    Sunrose
    Annabel
    Veronics repens
    Sunshine

These have filled in one 4' box and one 2' box very nicely. So far our coldest night has been 27 and we have a light snow on the ground. The oxalis have died back to the ground (they are bulblets) but Copper Glow was lush and blooming right to the end.

• roxann
    18 years ago

I'm new at container planting. I remodeled my kitchen a couple months ago. I kept my old sink.I plan on using it
    in my yard as a container.Afterall it already has a drain.
    What types a flowers would look good in it.

• october17
    18 years ago

Perennials that came back this spring in containers:

Yarrow (hot pink)
    Hechura
    Shasta Daisy
    Dailily (a yellow version of the common orange)
    Clematis

I had covered all but the clematis and yarrow.

Good luck!

• kitha1215
    18 years ago

Try Plumbago. Beautiful foliage that trails over the pots, and blossoms gorgeous electric blue flowers. You'd really love it! It's also available in white, however, the blue really makes things "pop"!

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Clematis, lambs ear, hops vine, and dianthus. Hops and dianthus do really well in my hot, dry microclimate (south facing concrete patio - lots of heat - I am on the NM border so the patio is probably more like zone 6).

Happy Trails,
    Michelle

• triple_b
    16 years ago

rain1950,
    I noticed you listed Anabel. Is that as in the Hydrangea? How does she do in a pot and what size?

• gee_oh_nyc
    16 years ago

Beebalm comes back great, but tends to want the entire container to itself (which is ok by me)
    My favorite no fuss perennial for containers is Helenium.
    It should be hardy in your zone and spread nicely without getting out of control.

George