Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plastic Swimming Pool?

Posted by lenaowens 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 07 at 11:04

Hi everyone! I'm just getting started so excuse the stupid questions. I would LOVE some advice! Do you think a plastic kiddie swimming pool filled with topsoil would work ? (About 4 ft diameter) I'm in zone 8 (Las Vegas)...The pool seems very, very durable. Should I put rocks or sand in the bottom before I fill it with top soil? Do you think I should line it with black plastic first? Do I need holes in it for drainage and should the holes be near the middle or around the edges, if at all? Should I put bricks or concrete blocks under it to allow air to circulate underneath? I live in a small upstairs apartment facing North. I have a 10 x 10 balcony with a little bit of an overhand which provides some shade in the hot, hot evening. Is there anything that can be planted in Zone 8 this time of year? (August) Thanks so much for any and all suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plastic Swimming Pool?

Top soil turns into something quite different when used in a container. The use of good 'soil-less' potting medium is your best bet. If you spend a bit of time reading the many threads in this forum on potting mixes, you'll get the idea. Yes, you need to provide drainage holes. No, you don't need to add sand, gravel, or rocks in the bottom before you add the potting medium. I see no reason to line it with black plastic.

o

http://www.arts4all.com/elca/

Here shows the ultimate use of kiddie pool containers.

o

It absolutely can work - and is actually being used to assist those in poverty around the world. See this article:

http://www.technologyforthepoor.com/UrbanAgriculture/Garden.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here