Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garden in a bottle watered just once in 53 years

Posted by greentoe357 7b Brooklyn NY (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 11:55

The ultimate in container gardening. Saw this article online.

"Thriving since 1960, my garden in a bottle: Seedling sealed in its own ecosystem and watered just once in 53 years".

http://goo.gl/vxFVQf

Interesting that the plant at the center of the story is Tradescantia.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garden in a bottle watered just once in 53 years

Well, that is interesting! Looks like T. fluminensis. DH's Mom has some in an aquarium all the way under water, exactly the opposite, but kinda similarly weird. It's been there for almost a year. Hers is T. zebrina.

o

Fascinating, thanks for posting.

o

AWESOME!

o

One of my uncles made one of these in the 1970s, and my grandmother had it until she moved out of her house a few years ago. I was always fascinated by it but very sadly it disappeared around the time of her move. It definitely had several kinds of plants in it. It was a similar bottle size and shape, but with no cap, and I don't think it was watered more than every so often. I would love to know how to make one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here