Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basil - could it be overwintered?

Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 11:57

I checked the Herbs forum, there is some info there. I see that basil is a true annual?
Did anyone here tried to overwinter it?
(I am in colder zone...)

I think it could be started from seed anytime. Also from cuttings. Just wanting to get it 'fast' - rather than waiting for seedlings to grow.

I am thinking of large-leaved basil (it may be called Genovese or something similar).

Al, I think I did see your basil bonsai. How long did it live?

Rina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basil - could it be overwintered?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 12:46

There are some perennial basils that do live a long time, and these could be over-wintered indoors under lights or in a sunroom, and are even used for herbal bonsai.

Mine lived until the frost got it. I have another this year, but a cat/squirrel/other broke off a strategic branch, so it doesn't look much like a bonsai. I'll try for a picture - I was going to take a picture that shows the progress of that fused ficus we're talking about at houseplants.

Al

o

I've tried. Mostly lemon and genovese basil. Some made it into late December. But they all died.

This year I have let one plant go fully to seed to see what happens. The result (besides a happy, seedy plant) is a forest of little baby basils. These guys are ridiculously easy to start from seed. Save seeds.

If you have grow lights, you might start some in November. Then start more in Feb/Mar and see where it takes you.

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 14:48

Al, thanks.

DM, that's what I thought...I would like to have some to use thru winter months.

Rina

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 16:06

I just pruned this a few days ago - much fuller prior to that. I'll try to remember to take another shot before it freezes.

Al

o

another look. There was a low branch on the right growing horizontally that got broke off. ;-(

o

You can, it just doesn't make much sense to. It pretty much requires supplemental lighting. Too easy to start from seed. Especially with the big leaf basils, the flavor will never again match that of the young plant.

I overwinter holy basil often, and many Indian households do so as well. It's never all that happy indoors, but it does survive. A lot of them end up looking bonsai-esque.

The other two I've successfully overwintered are spicy globe basil and boxwood basil, under grow lights. Both were apparently bred to maintain flavor even after flowering. Neither were super happy about it, even under grow lights... I suspect humidity was the issue. I ate from them during the winter and then tossed them in the spring.

I'm in Houston, TX though :D

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 17:52

Al

Thank you for posting these. Looks like also small-leaved one.

Greentiger

Thank you for the tips. I never grew the holly basil. And the boxwood basil sounds interesting.

Rina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here