Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cilantro in the 5-1-1

Posted by TheMasterGardener1 5B (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 12:25

Hi everyone. :)

I just planted some Cilantro seeds in the 5-1-1 and can't wait for a fall harvest of cilantro. Anyone know a place that is still selling seeds this time of year? HD seeds are not there anymore. I want to do more cilantro and would like to find some more seeds. Any ideas?

I will update it when the cilantro is growing nice.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cilantro in the 5-1-1

The grocery store.. cilantro (leaves) and coriander seeds are from the same plant.

Indian groceries stores sell large amounts of whole seeds for very cheap, but I doubt you need that many.

o

Find an Indian family or an Indian store, get a handful of coriander seeds and throw it in the dirt. It is cheap stuff anyway. Here in Pittsburgh it re-seeds itself every year and I get way more cilantro than I can consume. It likes cool weather otherwise it will bolt very quickly. I always get a spring and fall crop. Some of the fall ones even survive through the winter. I think 511 mix is an overkill for cilantro. It grows like dandelions, in cracks, crevices, etc. Same with Arugula, Purslane and Mint. Anyway have fun and post pictures when you can.

o

Great info. Thanks!!!

I think I found a place to get those coriander seeds. I have a area in ground that is fenced off I am growing some more cilantro at. I know what you mean by just broadcasting them in the area I want to grow, its so easy :)

Thanks again.

o

Pike Nursery in my area (Marietta, Georgia) seems to keep some seeds up for sale year round.

o

Also once you have cilantro growing let one or two plants go to seed. Save those and next year can use some in early spring and then late summer. Store them dry. They tend to get these tiny bugs even inside a sealed bag.

o

It might be a bit hot to start Cilantro seeds outside right now in your zone. Might be best to start some indoors, and plant out end of month for a fall crop.

o

Just an update on the Cilantro in the 5-1-1. They are growing fast! They have established way quiker then the ones in peat moss. Even for starting seeds peat moss just does not give results like the 511.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here