Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering Deciduous plants in pots?

Posted by insipidtoast (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 13:13

Is it necessary to water plants in pots when they are deciduous?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering Deciduous plants in pots?

I don't understand what you mean. All plants require water. Most plants grown in pots are deciduous. Are you talking about plants that are dormant?

o

Yes. After a plant loses it's leaves in the autumn and goes dormant. Does it still need water then?

o

It depends on the plant. Most houseplants don't go completely dormant and will need some water to survive. Plants that do lose all their leaves and appear to be dead, like tuberous begonias, amaryllis bulbs and some bonsai, also require a chill period and specialized care. I suggest you post your question again in this forum or the houseplant forum, asking about plants that go dormant and giving specific plant names.

o

I water my fruit trees about once a month in winter when they have no leaves. I think this is about the minimum. The same trees in summer need water once a day as the pots are only 5-15 gallon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here