Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
npk when blending water soluble ferts

Posted by k0ry15 ca (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 13:57

Hello everyone,
I wsant sure on where to post this but since all my plants are in containers i figured WTH. I was hoping someone could explain how to determine the final npk percentages if i for example wanted to blend a 3 lb. batch of fertilizer from multiple ferts, such as (ammonium sulfate, MKP, potassium sulfate, iron edta, etc....) Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: npk when blending water soluble ferts

There is software you can download to help with the calculations. Without, it is a complicated mathematical process and not sure worth the effort. Why don't you just purchase a formulation close to what you need? The specific numbers are less critical than the ratios but even that is not cast in stone.

FWIW, I use one liquid fertilizer for all my containers - trees, shrubs, annuals, veggies & fruits, houseplants. All are perfectly happy.

Sometimes I think we get a little too involved with fertilizer specifics.......generally not necessary unless you are doing bigtime agriculture.

Here is a link that might be useful: nutrient calculator software

o

k0ry15, it has been a long time since I have had to do this but here goes!
One gallon of water weighs 8.0 lb. (approx.). If you dissolve 1 lb. of ammonium sulfate in it, the new weight is 9.0 lb.
Ammonium sulfate contains 21% nitrogen.
1 lb. of ammonium sulfate will contain 0.21 lb. nitrogen.
We now have 9.0 lb. of a solution that contains 0.21 lb. nitrogen.
The percent nitrogen in the liquid is; 0.21 divided by 9.0, multiplied by 100.
The solution has an analysis of 2.33 - 0 - 0. (NPK)
You can do this for each element and arrive at a final formulation for a blended mixture.
Hope this helps.

o

thank you for the replies. i've tried hydrobuddy, but im not using a hydro set up. And im not really trying to blend a liquid fert necesarily, but a small batch of water soluble (basically a MG like fert )where i can adjust ratios. I understand that ratios are by weight, but get confussed when figuring in percentages of the salts. Example: Want a 5lb. total wt. 30-10-20 blend using urea, ammonium sulfate, MKP & sulfate of potash. i know 30% of 5lbs(2240 gms) is 1.5lbs(672 gms) of N. If urea is 46% & ammon. sul 21% and i use 336 g of each. it would only give me 225.12 gms of N which is about 10% of the 5lbs. im probably doing this completely wrong but i cant find any info on it except for blending liquid ferts. Again, thank you for the replies.

o

Gardengal...may I ask what liquid fertilizer you use? I have container veggies.

o

It's called Liquid GROW by Dyna Gro - 7-9-5.

BTW, it's when you combine nutrients with varying NPK's that you run into mathematical difficulties. Why not locate just a decent turfgrass fertilizer and call it good? These typically offer a 3-1-2 ratio........

o

k0ry15,

Let me know what salts you want to use and the desired ratio of N-P-K.

If I don't respond in a week, email me.

Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here