Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
123cococo

Moving

123cococo
9 years ago

I am downsizing and want to take several of my plants with me.Mainly tall garden phlox and salvias.When is the best time to dig them and place in pots?Also any advice on overwintering would be highly appreciated.Thank you.

Comments (6)

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

What gardening zone are you moving to? I think the local climate you'll be moving into will determine how you treat your plants over the winter season.

I just happen to be in the process of moving from zone 6 to zone 4b... so my priority is digging and getting my plants settled in as soon as possible... so they have a chance to settle in and grow some roots before the harsh winter comes.

It will be important to protect the rootball from winter's frigid winds, so good layers of insulating material will be needed if you intend to keep your plants in pots. I would either plant them in their new garden homes asap, and mulch them very well... or if in pots, bury the pots and mulch well...

I'm not exactly certain about Phlox or Salvia... but certain perennials are best dug or divided in fall, and some in spring... however, there are times when we don't have a real choice in waiting, and we must dig while we can. I would probably dig carefully, trying not to destroy much root... I would bag them in garbage or shopping bags... take them to their new home, and get them planted and mulched as soon as I could. The important thing is protecting the rootball from freezing winds,

Honestly, a little more information about your move would be helpful... what zone will you be moving to, what sort of growing situation will you have, etc... ?

• 123cococo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your quick reply. I am moving to the same zone that I am in.The issue is that the realtor said anything in the ground the new owners will want. I want to pot up as many plants so they will not think they are going with the house.They will have to be held over in pots during the building process.Thank you , Kathy

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Ah, I see... okay, then I would make sure you can group the pots where they'll be safe, where you can cover them all with a nice insulating layer of mulch or soil... to protect those rootballs from any frigid winter winds. Then, you'll be able to plant them where you want once you're finished building.

Confidentially, I would probably try to salvage my plants, too... that's not part of what I would be selling. If you're buying my house, the smaller perennial plants are not included... unless you want to pay for the landscaping, too! ;-)

Good luck!

• 123cococo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your quick reply and helpful tips! Yes, that is exactly how I feel. I don't mind leavng the house but the plants....not a chance lol

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Glad to help! I've moved so many times in my life, I feel more like a nomad, or a transient, I swear!

And that's not really me... I prefer, much like my plants, to set roots and stay in one spot! But... sometimes, it's just not meant to be.

So, we lovers of plants, we find a way to take with us that which makes us happy... in fact, I just finished moving my rather large amaryllid collection, and I'm thinking my daughter-in-law was not expecting that I had so many plants! :-)

But... we'll make it work. We'll find the room and the right light, and all will be okay.

Best to you on your move! You should come back in spring, or after your build and planting are completed, and show us your new gardens!

Happy Gardening! :-)

• 123cococo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you I will!