Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumbers in Earthtainer: downy mildew or 'overwatering'?

Posted by rkulagow none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 14:21

I've got an Earthtainer of Cucumbers, and the leaves are turning yellow.

From what I've seen on the web, this is either some sort of mildew, or "overwatering", which I wouldn't think is possible with an Earthtainer, or a fertilizer issue.

I've attached a link with pictures:
https://picasaweb.google.com/115147296441540826394/CucumberMildew?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumbers in Earthtainer: downy mildew or 'overwatering'?

alternaria
Photobucket
downy mildew if its downy it will have a gray fuzz on the back side of the leaf spot.
Photobucket

o

OK, I'm not seeing anything on the backside of the leaves, like grey or black dots. So, alternaria looks like a good candidate.

A fungicide then?

o

a fungicide can be sprayed on the plant. This can help reduce the damage from the plant, but frequently this will only lessen, not eliminate the problem.

o

I highly recommend spraying both the top and undersides of the leaves with a mild fungicide like Exel LG, or Actinovate. Depending on your region, you also may encounter Cucumber Beetles, which also spread leaf mold, and other diseases.

I'm growing County Fair, (left EarthTainer), Sweet Success (center) and Diva (right).

Photobucket

The Sweet Success are 3-times as productive compared to the County Fair and Diva:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Typically running in the 14 to 16 inch range:

Photobucket

Cukes grow quite quickly in EarthTainers. Here is a photo taken July 9 (Diva on the left, Sweet Success on the right):

Photobucket

And here they are on August 11, shooting through the rafters:

Photobucket

Raybo

o

From what I've read, I need to prune all of the yellowing leaves and then spray the rest with a fungicide. Where I live there's a farm attached to the subdivision, and every week the entire subdivision gets our kitchen vegetable waste and grass clippings picked up. I'm not sure if a compost pile gets "hot" enough to kill off the fungus, or am I going to cause a problem for the farmer next year...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here