Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weights of different mixes

Posted by goldfinchy 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 14:44

Hi all,

I posted this question in a different thread first but was advised to separated it.

I am considering a 5-1-1 or a gritty mix (or some variation) for large containers.
I would like to move the planters from time to time and am curious about the weights of the mixes.
Can anybody post weights of 1 gallon (or a liter or 4 liters to compare with a gallon) of different mixes, please?

For example:

1) 5-1-1
1 gallon ..... lbs (kg)
Mix:
5 parts Orchid Bark (pine bark fines), 1-2 parts Perlite, and 1 part Peat Moss

2) gritty mix
1 gallon .... lbs (kg)
1 part uncomposted screened pine or fir bark (1/8-1/4"), 1 part screened Turface, 1 part crushed Gran-I-Grit (grower size), 1 Tbsp gypsum per gallon of soil

If you have your other favorite mix, please post it too!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weights of different mixes

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 15:39

Realistic guesstimates:

Well-made 5:1:1 mix weighs about the same as a peat-based mix when dry and about 2/3 the weight of most peat-based mixes at container capacity (fully saturated).

A well-made gritty mix weighs about 2-3X as much as a peat-based soil when dry, and about 1.5X as much at container capacity.

Al

o

Water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon ,if you plan to water the mix.

o

dickiefickle,
that's a very good point! I forgot about the water :)

Al, thanks for the guesstimate! Now, I need to get the weight of the peat-based mix. I have a Cactus mix, will try that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here