Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Subsitute for Turface in Gritty Mix

Posted by merlinus Zone 5 - Northern NM (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 15:02

I cannot find any local suppliers of Turface, and shipping costs are ridiculous. Same for clay pellets (Hydroton) and expanded shale.

So is there anything I can use instead? The only thing I could think of is one part of good quality potting soil (e.g. Black Gold) with added pumice, to go along with one part each of fine bark and grit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Subsitute for Turface in Gritty Mix

Hi Merlinus,

S0me people use Napa Floor Dry part # 8822 for a subsitute for Turface..

I am sure you have a Napa Parts Auto Store somewhere around you?

Try this and it might help!!

Hope this helps...

Laura

o

• Posted by merlinus Zone 5 - Northern NM (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 18:21

Thanks, Laura! Definitely have a local Napa, and they carry the product in 6-gallon bags.

What proportion would I use in the gritty mix, along with bark and grit?

o

You are more than welcome!!

I would use it as the same as 1 part Turface or Floor Dry to 1 part Grit to 1 part Fir/Pine bark for the Gritty Mix.

Keep it like you normally would for the Gritty Mix 1:1:1

Hope this helps!!!

Laura

o

Heck, "floor dry" or oil-sorb or whatever is just kitty litter, which is probably cheaper.

o

Turface and NAPA 8822 are both calcined. That means fired at more than 600 degrees. [It's a word I learned reading Al's posts.] That helps make it stable when getting wet and drying indefinitely, and when freezing and thawing. Kitty litter is not calcined (nor are most cheap spill-cleaneruppers), which is why they turn into mush if you leave them outside.

red_chucks

o

Aren't clumping litters fired?

o

Clumping litters may be partially fired to give them some stability, but they wouldn't clump properly if they were calcined. There are some non-clumping cat litters that are marketed as "low-dust" or "lightweight" that may be calcined, but this can be difficult to determine without buying and testing (dropping in a cup of water, freeze/thawing to determine stability).

There are some examples at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat litter as bonsai media

o

Good link. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here