Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for Turface in Houston??

Posted by jun_ 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 16:05

anyone found a source for Turface MVP in Houston? I'm in NW Houston.

I can't find Schultz soil conditioner either, which is supposedly a good substitute for turface.

Do any of the big box stores have it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for Turface in Houston??

google says : Ewing Irrigation
Mon-Fri: 7 to 5
Sat: 8 to 12
5260 Brittmoore Rd
Houston, TX 77041-
Phone: (713) 937-3799

Here is a link that might be useful: Ewing irrigation

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 17:31

Or Southwest Fertilizer @ 5828 Bissonnet 713-666-1744

A yellow pages search for John Deere Landscapes in your area would also likely reveal sources.

Al

o

• Posted by jun_ 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 20:11

that was fast, thanks!

Al, can I skip the grit/granite altogether? Here in Houston, it gets so hot that even the large 20" containers need watering every day. I was thinking of doing 1:1 pine bark and turface, and maybe watering every other day.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 20:55

I include the grit for 3 reasons - because I don't need all the extra water retention, because it adds to soil longevity by allowing me to keep the organic fraction of the soil at 1/3 or less (and not have too much water retention), and varying the amount of grit/Turface while keeping the bark fraction at 1/3 or less adds (water holding) adjustability to the soil. The equal parts recipe is only a suggestion, based on my own experiences and the reports I get from others in different climes. The important part is that you understand the reasons for the different ingredients and the concept behind the soil. It's not a soil I'm pushing, it's the idea that durability/long term aeration are a very desirable properties in container media. If you do understand the reasoning and you happen to run into difficulty, you'll know how to fix it.

Good luck, & take care.

Al

o

Southwest Fertilizer has 50-pound bags for 15 dollars (I think). Granite can be obtained from Quality Feed and Garden company.http://www.qualityfeedco.com, 50 pounds for $12.95.

It's pine bark fines that get me here. You can buy 3-cubic-foot bags of pine bark mulch at SW Fertilizer for 4 bucks, but then mowing and sifting takes a long time. Where do you buy them?

o

• Posted by ltruett Zone, 9 Houston (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 8:41

I haven't found what I would consider a good source of pine bark fines in the Houston area either. I usually just buy pine bark nuggets and put them through a chipper/shredder. There is a mulch/dirt company that use to sell pine bark fines but stopped because there was wasn't enough demand.

o

• Posted by jun_ 8b-9a (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 1:13

this is what I use, but it's finer than pine bark. But I think I can get away with it because I really do need the additional water retention. I do not overpot my plants, so perched water table is minimal:

Lowe's has 40 lb bags of topsoil....but it's not really topsoil, it's more like decomposed fine pine plus sand. It's only $1 a bag. It's so fine and pretty I need to take a picture of it.

o

Any real answer to this question? I did get Turface at the place on Bissonett a few years ago, but I live in Katy now and am never down in that area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here