Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyjchang

A few questions! (Gritty mix durability)

Ruby Chang
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions regarding the Gritty Mix, they should be quick and simple. My plants have been living in the Gritty Mix for a year and a half, now is for a new round of questions of what to do next.

1) how long does the gritty mix last? I know Al's said somewhere (CAN"T find the thread...it has been a while) that the plant will probably need a repot before the soil gets compacted. but how long is that usually? (My michelia alba has been in the gritty for about a year and a half, but the roots have not yet fill the 3 gallon container yet), so I don't want to HAVE to repot it in new mix. Can I keep it in there for another year or two?

2) when repotting from old gritty mix, do you have to remove all of the old gritty mix AGAIN? (just like when transferring form "soil" to gritty mix)??? Or if the soil looks not very decomposted, you can keep it? I am always afraind to disturb plant roots since removing all of the soil is quite traumatic (my plants had to recover for quite a while even though I keep the roots moist and try to do it fast)

3) did somebody mention they use pumice for replacement of turface? (meyermike maybe? pretty please?) I am very interested. My original turface source disappeared......trying to look for new source!

Thank you for ANY help!
Ruby

Comments (2)