Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for fall planting in containers

Posted by love2gardennc z7b NC (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 16:39

A club I am working with is going to do a small class (about 15 to 20 people all novice gardeners) on container gardening in mid september. The thought so far by another member is to do a pansy, a bulb (daff) and a lettuce plant. I suggested perhaps a low growing sedum.
I knew the place to go for other ideas, never a time that I can't find the answers here.
Thanks for any assistance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for fall planting in containers

Love, we might be a bit confused about the purpose of the class. Are you looking for suggestions for one demonstration container, or many ideas from these creative people?

One of my favorite winter containers was a shallow (5 inch) terra cotta tray in which I had sowed a nice thick crop of winter rye. Hidden in the soil were spring bulbs; muscari, crocus, and some lovely tiny bunching daffodils. What a treat when they began to break through my little patch of bright green grass.

o

I like idea of winter rye - that probably looks very nice!?
have to try that...

For fall containers/display, anything would look nice. If the purpose is to grow it out in spring, bulbs are definitely good. Hardy sedums, grasess, hardy ivy, creeping jenny. Even a small evergreen or a boxwood as a centerpiece would look great & last until spring. Could be surrounded with anything low-growing including edibles...

o

Each participant will do their own container. I have been asked to help with different ideas because in our community I am known for time spent in the garden. The problem is I know nothing about container gardening. I need ideas like you both have given me. The ladies doing the class will try to have a couple finished containers to show different ideas and how plants can work together. I am gathering plants as ideas are found. So far I have potted up heuchera seedlings and baby Lamb's ear.
I love the rye grass idea and will definitely use the creeping jenny in another one as I have tons of that.
Thanks so much and keep the ideas coming.

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 20:30

Heuchera will go with so many plants...if for shadier location, maybe lady's mantle, siberian bugloss, 'cascading' type grass like japanese forest grass, creeping jenny, hosta, ferns (I love Maidenhair and Japanese painted and Ghost fern), and for something taller solomon's seal...

For sunnier location you still could use heuchera, even with lamb's ear - and just about any other perennial or annual will go with lamb's ear. Cabbages would look good with it too.
Or you can create more monochromatic container with other silvery plants (artemisia, dusty miller, licorice plant, silver sage, blue fescue...) I would plant euphorbia 'Diamond frost' in that container too...Rina

o

Planting in containers is a great idea. I usually plant flowers, herbs and other small plants in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here